Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Converting an MDS Application to BB OS 5/6

Hi

I'm hoping for a little generic advice, rather than a definitive fix for something. I've not developed for BlackBerry before so please forgive my ignorance!

My organisation developed a simple forms based application that utilised MDS. This was deployed to a variety of devices obviously prior to OS 4.7. Originally, the application was just for pilot purposes and was started a couple of years ago.

Since then, the application has been proven and we want to roll it out to more recent devices, but with the retirement of MDS and the latest OS versions we have a little problem! We've spoken to a development team about porting the application from MDS to OS 5/6, maybe written directly in Java. The costs we have been quoted are, on the face of it, quite high (circa $16500).

I know this is probably an infuriating question, and without specifics it will be impossible to give a definitive response, but could someone share the complexity of such an operation for a competent developer?

In terms of functionality it's quite a simple application. It pulls certain data from a back office system via the BES. This is then used onsite, and a questionairre is completed on site using this data, and the results posted back into a custom database. That's it. It's a simple form application with approximately 20 different screens. The function of the device is basically a data quality exercise (is the existing data still correct?) coupled with a customer satisfaction survey (the questionairre bit).

Like I said, I'm not looking for specifics, just a general gut feel for the complexity of the task, and whether that price is a little on the high side. For more context, the original MDS app was $5000 max to develop in the first place! We're trying to chase down additional quotes as I type...

Thanks for reading.

Developer

Re: Converting an MDS Application to BB OS 5/6

Going by our current contract development rates in the USA, your quote is probably about 100 hours, so I don't see this as being out of the ordinary. Your project sounds like a good 2-3 weeks, minimum, just on the client. That does not count any server-side middleware that may need to be put into place to service the client requests.

I think you have to look at it based on the average hourly rate for this type of work in your area.

Developer

I agree with RexDoug, this is not unreasonable, especially if the development house did not have anything similar that they could refactor, or there were parts of this process that they were not familiar with - especially the server interrelationship. One of the beauties of MDS Studio (in addition to the GUI developer of course) was the transparent data communication.

I think the rules change if you find someone who has done something similar, already knows how to integrate the backend and has a good communication bridge for BlackBerry devices and has developed an XML forms generator for their screens.  But, even in this case, I don't think you could get it done for $5,000.

While you are investigating, I would also suggest you look at a Web App. 

And I believe there are a number of hosted forms gathering solutions available, though the only one I know anything about is goCanvas (www.gocanvas.com). 

Good luck, I hope you manage to find a way forward for this project. 

New Contributor

OK, thanks guys. My knowledge of BlackBerry development hovers around the zero mark, so I appreciate the input. I guess it's just the wild disparity between the two prices had me wondering.

I'll press on with this quote!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.