Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Couple GPS questions

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Few questions:

1) If I can getLocation using PDE criteria, can I just go ahead start a LocationListener with a standalone criteria? My understanding is that PDE uses the internal GPS also.

2) If I already have a LocationListeners using a less-precise criteria, can I try getLocation with a more precise criteria in parallel? I'm looking for a way to detect when standalone becomes available while getting coords from the towers.

Thanks so much!

Developer

Re: Couple GPS questions

Have a look at this:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Location-APIs-Start-to-finish/ta-p/571949

if you are OS 5.0 or later, then the subsequent mode might just do what you want. 

Developer

I'm targeting < 5.0. I also need a callback when the mode changes. Does subsequent mode do this out of the box?
Developer

Not pre OS 5.0.

I suggest you review that link in detail to understand what you will have to do better. 

Developer

I've read that article a bunch of times--it is an answer to just about every location question on the boards. Smiley Wink

I'm rolling my own code for devices below 5.0 and can't use subsequent/failover modes. My initial questions will help me figure out my own solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

Highlighted
Developer

OK, don't think I can help, apologies for getting in the road...  Good luck.