Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

CoverageInfo and connection cost

Hi,

I am doing experiments with the Blackberry sockets and the different parameters to build up the connetcion.

Moreover I am trying to connect using different parameters depending on the CoverageInfo status ( COVERAGE_BIS_B, COVERAGE_DIRECT, COVERAGE_MDS).

Specifically what I would like to know is if connecting through any kind of channels has a different impact on the connection cost.

Thanks

Developer
My Device: 9900

Re: CoverageInfo and connection cost

Welcome to the forums. Smiley Very Happy

I think the connection cost will be different on different carriers for different methods.

There are some carries that offer unlimited data access while other charge per MB.

I know BIS_B would use WiFi if available before using the carries services. So that might be better to use. I also think you have to be a BlackBerry Partner in order to use BIS but I don't know if that is still in effect for 5.0 OS and later using the new APIs. Someone from RIM will need to confirm that.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: CoverageInfo and connection cost

AFAIK, BES and BIS are carrier-independent and not subject to carrier surcharges. Also WiFi is not subject to carrier charges.

However, Direct TCP and WAP will use the carrier infrastructure and are subject to tarif, based on the carrier rules. So, if you are doing a direct "deviceside=true" connection, and not using WiFI, your customer MAY be subject to surcharges - it depends on their plan.