Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Orange

Creating a custom map for use on the blackberry

Hey guys,

I have been reading the BlackBerry API and l've looked through these forums, but I can't find a conclusive answer I need.

What I want to do is create a custom map which shows my university campus. The map is a to scale JPEG image basically, I would then like to be able to plot the users current location on this map using the GPS of the BlackBerry.

My question is simple, would the above be possible?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Creating a custom map for use on the blackberry

You can launch the Blackberry Maps program with a Location document, using the Invoke class. Not sure that would be great resolution for a campus (unless it was a real big campus), but you could start there.

New Contributor

My idea was to get the GPS locations for the corners of my map. Then I think I should be able to convert GPS information to x,y co-ordinates on the map within the corner locations.

So what I want to do is just be able to get realworld GPS Co-ordinates and convert them to x,y co-ordinates without the use to Blackberry maps, just the GPS device within the phone.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Sounds do-able. I think you just described your solution.

What was the question?   Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I was wondering whether there was any alternative solutions without having to convert GPS real world coordinates to X, Y coordinates on the screen manually. The only thing that I could see was the mapField class and I'm unsure whether you can implement your own map  using it.

In addition to this, are you able to interact directly with the on board GPS device without having to use Blackberry Maps?