Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Data Push Causes Phone to Vibrate and Red Light to blink

Hello, I've noticed that the push of data, in our case to the ECL application, causes the phone to vibrate, if vibration is turned on, and the red light to blink for about 15 minutes or more.  I was wondering if there was a way to stop this from happening, either on the phone, in the program or in Enterprise Manager.  We wanted to do an update push daily, but are now rethinking this because our users can't figure out why their phone is acting like it has received a new message.

Thanks for any help,  Joe

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Data Push Causes Phone to Vibrate and Red Light to blink

If you are performing a Browser Channel push, there are 2 places to configure this. 

The user can change their notification within their profile.  To do so, open the current profile using the Profiles application on the BlackBerry handheld, select Browser and choose the notification method.  Turn off repeat notifications to disable the blinking LED.

You can also control this on the server side.  To do so change the value of the X-Rim-Push-Priority header to "Low".  This will not fire the notification set under a user's profile when a Browser Channel Push arrives.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Hi Mark,

I am a little confused on where this setting is at.  I assumed it was in one of the *.properties files that came with the program.  Right now I am doing a "catcher" push through our MDS server ... if that even makes sense.  I would like to do the server side change, I just need to know where the X-Rim-Priority header can be changed.

Thanks,  Joe

Are you perform a Browser Channel Push (pushing an icon to a web page) or pushing to an application on the BlackBerry handheld?  The former you can control using the priority header.  The latter is up to the application on how it wants to handle it.
Mark Sohm

New Developer

We are pushing data to the handheld, which has the ECL application installed.  I have read quite a bit about the x-rim-priority headers in the Browser content developer's guide, but I still don't see where to add (put) this header to get the desired result.  At first I thought this might be a setting in the MDS properties in the Blackberry Manager, but I don't that's right.  I also thought I might be able to add the header "line" to the mds.properties file that is part of the ECL application's push files.

If I read what you are saying correctly, this setting can only be made on the device itself.  And I think if I change that setting on the device, then I am also turning off the notifications for other things like emails and text messages.  Is that correct?

The priority header and Browser notifications specified on the BlackBerry handheld only apply to Browser pushes.  This does not apply if you are pushing to a custom Java application on the BlackBerry device (that is listening for the push).  In this case it's up to the application to trigger alerts. 

You can refer to the PushedDataListener class in the ECL sample to see how the notifications are triggered.

Mark Sohm