Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: -

Debugging app on Mac with Eclipse Indigo, BlackBerry Plug-in, VMware Fusion and PlayBook Simulator

Hi,

I am trying to create a development environment for BlackBerry apps on my Mac 10.6.8. I have installed the following:

• Eclipse Indigo
  • BlackBerry Java Plug-in (SDKs 7.1.0.7, 7.0.0.33, 6.0.0.43, 5.0.0.36)
  • VMware Fusion 4
  • BlackBerry PlayBook Simulator 1.0.8

The simulator is in development mode and I can ping its ip. I can also connect from the simulator to Internet.

I have created a new HelloWorld project using File->New->BlackBerry Project. I'm trying to run this application but there's something I'm missing. In the "Create, manage and run configurations" I have 3 entries for BlackBerry:

1. BlackBerry Device - not good since I don't have a device
  2. BlackBerry Simulator - not good as for this one I only have a BlackBerry-SDK- 9900 entry for the device and the default command line uses fledge.exe
  3. BlackBerry Simulator (Running) - I would expect this to be the one. But I don't know how to specify the ip of the simulator. Also, when I create the configuration I get this message "The checked projects are used only as debug references but the corresponding .cod(s) have to be deployed separately on the running simulator". How do I fix this?
    If I just try to debug without specifying the ip and deploying the .cod(s) I get one error after another:
    • "Cannot find RIMUsbJni.dll. Without this dll the IDE cannot connect to USB enabled handhelds. Add RIMUsbJni to java.library.path." Why is it trying to connect to USB enabled handhelds?
    • "BlackBerry preprocessor is being configured. Eclipse will restart to take effect and re-build workspace." If I press restart eclipse it doen't restart, but I get the next error.
    • "The preprocessor hook could not be configured correctly. You may need to reinstall the BlackBerry Eclipse plug-in". I did reinstall the plug-in, but nothing changed.
    • "Launching New_configuration has encountered a problem. Failed to connect to running simulator"

What am I missing? I could try connecting to a simulator installed on a Bootcamp Windows 7 running in the same VMware Fusion, but I'm not sure how to do it either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dumi.

New Developer

Re: Debugging app on Mac with Eclipse Indigo, BlackBerry Plug-in, VMware Fusion and PlayBook Simulator

I have installed a clean version of Eclipse, the version for BlackBerry development (BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse) and the new PlayBook Simulator 2.0.0. Still, I see no way of linking my app to the simulator running in the virtual machine. I still get the timeout and "Failed to connect to running simulator" when using a BlackBerry Simulator (Running) debug configuration.

How do I specify in Eclipse that I want to use the simulator running in vm? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dumi.

New Developer

Re: Debugging app on Mac with Eclipse Indigo, BlackBerry Plug-in, VMware Fusion and PlayBook Simulator

I have installed everything on Windows 7 also (BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse and the new PlayBook Simulator 2.0.0) and I have imported the ActiveTextFieldsDemo sample application. I am able to run the application in the existing 9930 simulator, but I am in the same situation when trying to debug using the PlayBook Simulator. This one is installed in VMware Player and I am able to ping it.

At this point I am pretty sure that I am not supposed to use a "BlackBerry Simulator" or "BlackBerry Simulator (Running)" configuration, but something else... Maybe "Remote Java Application"? Or other configuration? What else do I need to install? How do I deploy the application to the PlayBook Simulator? How do I connect to it?

Thanks,

Dumi.

New Contributor
My Device: 8560
My Carrier: vodacom

Hi Dumi, I assume from the fact that you have had no replies to your commnets that you are still having issues, or have you managed to resolve all your problems.

I am having the error:  ""The preprocessor hook could not be configured correctly. You may need to reinstall the BlackBerry Eclipse plug-in". I did reinstall the plug-in, but nothing changed.".  I would love to hear if it has been resolved, and how it was done.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Theo at GenselLabs