Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Deployment with Multiple Libraries and JAD file

Hi Guys,

I know there are many posts about multiple libraries, but I still cannot figure out a quick way of deploying an application with multiple libraries to device.

Problem 1

I have read about updating JAD file using updatejad.exe tool but it is quite a work for single deployment. Everytime, I have to run this tool from command prompt (or bat file) with params.

There is a menu option Load Project(s) to Device which is very quick but it does not install dependency projects.

I don't understand why is this really complex?

Problem 2

If I deploy the same application with multiple dependent libraries again with updated JAD file, it re-installs all libraries. I.e.. If I check the application properties and check Modules, I get the duplicate modules - same module installed number of times. Why why?

Your help will be very much appreciated. This forum has been very helpful so far and I am really desperate for this answer.

Nitin

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: Deployment with Multiple Libraries and JAD file

NitinPatel wrote:

Problem 2

If I deploy the same application with multiple dependent libraries again with updated JAD file, it re-installs all libraries. I.e.. If I check the application properties and check Modules, I get the duplicate modules - same module installed number of times. Why why?

I also don't kno why, because if you're using DesktopManager and .alx file, then app-module + all library-modules are installed separately and if updating only modules with higher version nr are updated and if you install some Apps with references to same libs with same versions - using .alx only installs modules one time - using JAD always all modules are installed for each app.if you take a look at the installed applications - if .alx was used, then all apps and libs are separately visible - if you installed from JAD it looks like the libs are part of the app

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer

"using JAD always all modules are installed for each app"

I'm going to test this, as this does not match my experience.  As far as I was aware, it was not possible to have two cod files of the same name on the device.  Can you confirm 100% that this is what you see?

Developer

I think Ekke is right here. As I mentioned earlier, after installing application using JAVA Loader, if I check the list of application modules in application properties' page, I can see duplicate modules with same name and version.

Nitin

Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

peter_strange wrote:

"using JAD always all modules are installed for each app"

I'm going to test this, as this does not match my experience.  As far as I was aware, it was not possible to have two cod files of the same name on the device.  Can you confirm 100% that this is what you see?

I think Peter is right.

The modules are shared between apps, if the apps are using common modules.  If a module is updated through an OTA of for one of the apps, the OS throws a notice saying that other apps "may stop working" because they depend on this module.

I don't believe it's possible to have multiple versions of the same module installed at the same time.

As far as the OP issue.   My solution was to write an ANT script to handle the whole build including running the jadtool.   It may take you an hour or two to write one, but in the end it will save you so much time.

Developer

then how come I see duplicate module names on application modules. May be something wrong with Application Properties page!

An hour or two to write ANT? I am not sure about that. It is completely new to me. I even don't know why they call it ANT! I need to find out bit more

Nitin

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

I'll do some more tests about this and report back...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer

"I see duplicate module names on application modules"

Can you tell us exactly where uyou see these duplicate names?  What Simulator/Device and what OS Level also.

Developer

I have been testing with two devices:

8900 - OS 5

9800 - OS 6

My appliation has few libraries (modules), i.e. Utility, Services etc.

Where do I see these duplicate namte:

Options -> Applications -> AppName

Open application properties page, go to the end of the page to view the list of modules. In this list, I can see dupliate modules. Even I can click on each module and check the property of each module.

Nitin

Developer

Sorry in the list for one application you see duplicates?

I think that you see the same name listed for a number of applications.  I don't think this demonstrates that the module is included twice - just that it is used in two different applications. 

Try looking in

Options -> Applications , then use Menu to Modules

Do you see the modules listed twice in this list?