Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Determining if application is running

I am developing an application that has a background thread which invokes a UIApplication. 

Is there anyway i can determine from this backgroud thread whether the UIApplication is already running? 

I tried to use Application.isAlive or isForeground, but i dont have the instance of this UIApplication in the backround thread.

In short, can anyone suggest how to determine if application is running from outside the application? (excuse the ill-framed sentence Smiley Tongue )

Thanks in advance

Re: Determining if application is running

why dont you use runtime store to do this. take a look at this BB article which does something similar.

problemSolved() ? kudosPlease():kudosPlease();

You can use the getVisibleApplications method in the net.rim.device.api.system.ApplicationManager class to retrieve descriptors for visible, running applications.

I think if you explain why you are looking for this function, we may be able to suggest a better solution instead.

My Device: Bold 9700

Hey Shraddha, how's it going?  Smiley Happy

In addition to the afore-mentioned methods, here's how I do what you're looking for.  It's a little old, and there's certainly room for improvement, but it's worked for me in the past.  "NoSuchModuleException" is one of my own, it's not part of RIM's API - basically just a marker on top of Exception.

public class ProcessUtils { public static int getProcessId(String moduleName) throws NoSuchModuleException { ApplicationManager appMgr = ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager(); int moduleHandle = CodeModuleManager.getModuleHandle(moduleName); if (moduleHandle == 0) { throw new NoSuchModuleException(); } ApplicationDescriptor[] appDes = CodeModuleManager.getApplicationDescriptors(moduleHandle); return appMgr.getProcessId(appDes[0]); } public static boolean isServiceRunning(String moduleName) { try { if (getProcessId(moduleName) == -1) { return false; } else { return true; } } catch (NoSuchModuleException e) { // This could be a problem... return false; } } }

Hey Guys.. THanks a tonne!

Yosoh that was the API i needed.. thanks it worked. 

And Richard, always to the rescue  Smiley Happy ... left me with no problems at all Smiley Very Happy

Tariq, I needed this to invoke a GUI application from a thread listening for a particular SMS. 

Thanks all of you...