Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

A better solution is a java compiler so no VM is required.

Lucky for us. We took a few weeks of our time to ported our BB app to Android.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

simon_hain wrote:

just talked to shaun, he said they have a press release about this topic in the pipeline, PR is checking it etc.
He talked a lot about improving literally everything, let's see how that actually looks like (if you stick around that long)

edit: he directly confirmed that there will be no java player. and said "the absence of news about that should have made that very clear", which is a very good summary of RIM information policy.

really disappointed.

I have ported our android apps on playbook using the android player and they look quite native (except for dropping support to some unsupported features and the lack of a clear licensing method) but now that ICS is out, they look old.

Porting android apps isn't the way to go on blackberry. Porting the BB Java apps is not possible because rim abandoned it, I lost interest in RIM.
Customers are abandoning RIM and switching on our Android native apps, I'm really convinced that the QNX for blackberry will be the same maemo flop seen with nokia.

No apps means no interest in customers and Adobe+Javascript or QNX native isn't java that let the market be full in few time.

Developer

[ Edited ]

The BBX platform will include BBX-OS, and will support BlackBerry cloud services and development environments for both HTML5 and native developers. BBX will also support applications developed using any of the tools available today for the BlackBerry PlayBook – including Native SDK, Adobe AIR/Flash and WebWorks/HTML5, as well as the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps – on future BBX-based tablets and smartphones." 

blah blah blah, what else would RIM support?  I suggest they support their falling and failing company..

and Adroid will support Android . How beautiful it sounds. 

It was in the coming,  I stopped updating my BB App World aplication in June, andi dont really care what happens to this company anymore, sad, though, it used to be good.

Most guys that made this comapny what is was before are gone, I knew a few, and I was told  in May, this platform is not gonna be around long.

I still hoped against all hopes.

Whoever  says about Java being outdated doesn know much about Java.

Android for instance uses "set of core libraries that provides most of the functionality available in the core libraries of the Java programming language."

Anyone will tell me Android is an outdated technology as well?? 

Now

there is some talk on the  forum about switching to Android and letting the BB go.

Do some not so serious research and you will find that only about 10% of the developers mostly companies,  or even less, make some decent money on the Android market. 

It's full of fart apps that do nothing, but they are free and Android users are used to getting things for free, thats the way Google built it and wanted it. the word Advertisement comes into mind.

There are many developers from India or Pakistan or some other places where 200 USD a month concidered not bad at all, or even 50 USD will make them happy.

Will it make YOU happy, is an open question, probably not.

Looks like google made a serious R&D effort before it put out the Android stack and it looks like whatever RIM is doing now is a mad house effort that leads to nowhere.  

the words Fatal and Total come into mind. 

Very sad news indeed that I was affraid to hear but I have. 

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have to think this is game over for RIM, this whole clean sweep reaction reeks of desperation, where are they going to find a critical mass of developers willing to take on the gamble of learning an entirely new environment from a company reeling on the brink and who've just shown they don't really give a rats about the developer community?  

The ditching of an entire application eco system has been compared to what MS did with Windows Mobile but at least they had reasonably compelling development tools and a consistent, well though out environment in WP7, in comparison BBX looks like a smörgåsbord thrown together from all the free stuff they found on the Internet - or as they put it - open source support.  I mean C++ and Qt? Really?

Android ICS is slick and beautiful, it would take years for RIM to develop BBX to that level and based on the sort of code they've been slowly churning out for the last couple of years I don't believe they have the talent to do it.  At what point in time will they have a device that can hold a candle to the Galaxy Nexus?  Years, and what will the current Samsung and HTC phone-tablets look like by then?  Always too little too late with RIM and now that they've suddenly decided to make a bold move it has to  involve throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Too sad.

Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: airtel

If there is no java support for BBX platform, then which programming language will be used. And what is about existing Apps. RIM has not yet disclose the future programming language.

Android is also linux based OS, why QNX has not support for java ?

I think RIM should provide more api to make development oriented platform.

Developer
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

RIM should just make an Andoid phone.

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

This is what I hate about tech industry.  Should have been a doctor instead, the body's design doesn't change radically every several years making all your knowledge and skills worthless, the human body will never go obsolete, and it'll always have 100% market share.

Developer

kknautiyal wrote:

If there is no java support for BBX platform, then which programming language will be used. And what is about existing Apps. RIM has not yet disclose the future programming language.

Android is also linux based OS, why QNX has not support for java ?

I think RIM should provide more api to make development oriented platform.

RIM is supporting Actionscript and HTML5, as well as whatever you can get to compile using the NDK - C/C++ for the most part I imagine.

QNX does have support for Java - just not on the Playbook.

The problem appears to be Oracle demanding license fees for Java that will make RIM uncompetitive in the market. Google don't pay a Java license apparently - so Android makers are at an advantage over RIM who license Java. 

If you write for the NDK then you'll have access to pretty low level API's I imagine. 

There are a few Java to C converter tools out there, and GNU have a Java compiler that generates machine code.

The one thing I don't understand about all this is why RIM couldn't have dedicated some resource to providing tools for us to convert our apps. 

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

I guess the important question now is what to do. The release of the first BBX phone is planed for first quarter of 2012, which means end of March or beginning of April (remember the PlayBook release plan and actual release date?). I'm a bit skeptic if RIM can make it, because there is still no PlayBook with native mail, calendar etc and if RIM releases a BBX phone without core BlackBerry things like email, it will be the end of the company.

So there is about 5 months before the BBX phone release. As I checked my sales for October - OS7.0 sales are about 25%, so assuming the same will happen with the BBX, there are about two months more before the real sales drop.

Summary: 7 months to switch to a new technology.

Given the short time, for me personally only WebWorks makes sense as a new development environment, moreover current WebWorks apps will be supported in BBX, so I can preserve some (minor) customer base after BBX release.

Android is not an option, my apps are all about productivity with tight integration with native apps etc, rewriting them in Android is pointless for the time being.

Unfortunately not enough time to build something good enough with the NDK.

Maybe after the release of the first BBX phones I will reconsider the options, but for now I'll go with WebWorks as a chance to survive the transition period.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Have to admit one good thing about this is, in a few months we'll no longer have to type this 20 times a day:

invokeLater(new Runnable() { public void run() {

//  something that should have worked in synchronized...

//  ... but resulted in IllegalStateException

} } );