Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

br14 wrote:

@ber444

I don't get RIM's approach to Java at all. If they're willing to run Dalvik on QNX (thereby also circumventing Oracle IP licensing) then why not provide API's to run BB apps on Dalvik also? I'd have thought it wouldn't be that expensive to create some form of J2ME to Java SE conversion mechanism. 

QNX will be a failure, we will see it when we can talk about it.

Developer

just to add some data about the QNX appeal with customers.

http://www.mobileburn.com/17766/news/rim-taking-485-million-loss-on-blackberry-playbook-inventory

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Reviving this thread to discuss about the news regarding BB10 (formerly known as BBX):

BlackBerry 10 Smartphones are announced to reach the market in late 2012.

Quite a change from the formerly announced end of 2011, followed by rumors of beginning of 2012.
This delays the death of BB java by roundabout another year i guess.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Thats good news for us java developers. although very bad news for RIM. I hoped they would learn from the mistakes they made during the saga of playbook launch. (delay, software issues etc). Seems they havent learnt anything at all. Another nail on RIMs coffin I would say

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Late 2012 means August I guess, RIM should try to release BB10 phones before the September earnings call. I'm curious what is the delay reason. It was mentioned something about hardware (waiting for a new chipset), but I don't really believe it. My guess is that the BB10 OS is still not enterprise ready. And BB10 phone without BES support would be a plain suicide.

But RIM has interesting marketing approach - BB10 phones announced for early 2012, which basically killed the OS7.0 sales and forced a big number of developers to quit Java development. Now BB10 phones postponed... and we all rush back to Java? Smiley Happy

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

[ Edited ]

QuiteSimple wrote:

And BB10 phone without BES support would be a plain suicide.

It wouldn't. As it is being shown, they don't care at all about the (now legacy) BB Java apps that are running on enterprise environments. They can keep up selling devices for regular users, even without  AppWorld.

I'm mainly a corporate developer, and the feedback I'm receiving from clients is that they now have to invest money and time again to port the apps they already bought (not so long ago). Some of these apps took a year to put in production. Now they'll no longer trust in a platform that switches technology so easy. They are planning for years of stability. What would you do in their place? A lot of people upset and great losses (both for clients and developer companies like mine). Enough loss as to not to trust RIM again.

Unfortunately, no mobile platform seems to be so trustable at the moment. Only iOS will remain for sure, but they are not enough enterprise-oriented yet. HTML5 could be a solution in the future if the browsers keep evolving. But as for now is not the same thing as a full-fledged native app.

BES and mail are no longer the exclusive thing they were, and there are alternatives (like VPNs).

Developer

I'm curious why you don't think HTML5 is a viable platform for business applications, seeing you're a corporate developer. At this point, you have substantially the same (Webkit-based) JIT-compiled HTML5 runtime on all major mobile platforms, including BB. BB OS7 does HTML5 right now, and BB 10 will also support it in the future. It's also a way to hedge your bets, since your code should work across all mobile platforms.
Developer

cwong15 wrote:
your code should work across all mobile platforms.

@cwong15 I'm not saying HTML5 is useless, just that is not as powerful. Webworks relies on JavaScript plugins to call native API functions. In my experience, it was close integration with OS (such as Bluetooth, telephony, email, push, and recently NFC) what allowed us to sell apps, since these couldn't be done with a regular web page.

Plugin based WebWorks apps are not as portable, since only the view is reusable. The pluged-in functions won't be the same for OS7 and 10, and to port to iOS or Android it is the same problem (and I'm not even sure that these platforms allow the plugin approach).

Developer

I agree that HTML5 is less powerful, but it is more than just a reusable view. Have you checked out PhoneGap? They are covering a lot of ground, and the plugins are cross platform. The BB platform support in PhoneGap is based on WebWorks. 

Developer
My Device: 8300
My Carrier: bb

Can any tell when will be the BB QNX phones be relased to market.