Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Proximus

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

It just reminds us that they needed the App World and BB Java developers to help them sell devices.

If RIM has an Android player, they also have plenty applications to attract users.

And with BBX in C++, they will support cross platform SDKs as Marmalade and attract games developers.

For the core function of BB (mail, pim, ...) they do not need us.

For me, it seems they want to attract developers from other platforms instead of supporting BB developers.

And if you compare the number of BB developer and the number of developers for the other platforms, we are a drop in the ocean.

I just hope I am wrong.

Developer
My Device: Z10, Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2 Germany

There were indications that this was going to happen. At least RIM should have made their plans clear to their developer base some time ago, instead of promising that a Java ME player for QNX will come at a later time and now silently killing off BBOS apps completely.

I hope that at least the Android player will be good, so that developing in Android could be an alternative.

----

My Twitter: @hendrik_dev
Developer
My Device: Z10 Red
My Carrier: Free

Yes hendrik, the android player is good. My Android applications work on the Playbook perfectly, with just a bit latency, which is normal for a beta version.

But still we just lost years of experience. They could have warned us about this decision sooner.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Android player is very powerful actually. It does have some limitations, but overall it is a very good experience. Cascades is nice and all, but is it worth it supporting it when you can just port your Android app? Unless you require some of the missing features (not too many), I don't think so. RIM did a nice back-stab here for the current developer base. It's not the news itself, we all expected it, it's the silence and keeping the whole community in the dark. All the new devs can look forward to this kind of treatment as well Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/04/blackberry-java-android/

WTF!?!

My investment as a developer is small, so directly this isn't a great loss to me, but the loss to the platform is ridiculously large. I don't care that most of the Java apps weren't that great. To abandon all that development, effort, and investment is at the least insulting and disrespectful to your COMMUNITY.

As simon_hain has already explained so clearly - how can you "thank" your community on one hand and s*** on all their hard work with the other? This is the definition of hypocrisy.

Someone at RIM better wake up and fix this.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Yep, they didn't just leave us hanging, they told us BB apps would soon be running on the PlayBook, and that implied they'd run on QNX phones too.

That was a key consideration when deciding to spend 2011 on BB instead of other platforms.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: 3G

With the android player, no one needs to develop for BlackBerry any more, and I don't think it will be 100% perfect, so I think it's not a good idea.

Developer
My Device: Torch

I believe the thruth is that rim realized that the current platform is lacking too much and putting effort in supporting it will cost them more than risking to lose us as developers.
And probably integration of the j2me based virtual machine with the qnx os isn't that easy - i don't know I am just guessing but it still isn't an excuse for what they are about to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

@dx22:

"...but it still isn't an excuse for what they are about to do."

Exactly.

You can still take most DOS 5.0 programs and run them on Windows 7. THAT is what it takes to keep 80% of the market share of PC operating system for three decades.

RIM - You can either follow the footsteps of PalmOS -> WebOS and die, or support your community through thick and thin like Microsoft. You still have time to fix this very bad decision.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Proximus

On the other hand, look what Microsoft did with Windows Mobile and Windows Phone and VB and VB.Net for instance.