Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

@MichaelMathy:

If I understand you correctly: Windows Mobile -> Windows Phone = less than 2% market share?
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Proximus

My point was just that twice Microsoft asked to its community to dump a platform and embrace a new one.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

This is about Java licensing in my opinion.

RIM has been at a competitive disadvantage to Android and Apple because they pay a license for Java to Oracle. No doubt Oracle want more for the Playbook to try and regain some of their investment in Sun.

As a strategy this is incredibly risky.

RIM risks having only a few thousand Playbook apps, and almost no BBX apps when they launch the platform next year.

The weird thing is that QNX already has a JVM. I guess RIM just doesn't want the burden of the license fee.

But when Google loses to Oracle (as it almost certainly will), every Android device will become more expensive. And now that will include Playbook, because the Android player is effectively a JVM port of Dalvik.

By the way, it isn't just Mike Kirkup that left RIM, I understand Tyler Lessard may also have gone. I'm afraid Alec Saunders is nowhere near their equal in RIM knowledge. Sad times.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Wouldn't be surprised this is one of the reasons they parted.
Developer

"it seems they want to attract developers from other platforms instead of supporting BB developers"

You got that right.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. Best illustrated by their usage of Peter Strange and Simon Hain as "top posters".

Without telling the two guys that their investment in BlackBerry development would be wasted if they continue developing Java apps.

It is a sign of complete amorality that they could commend these guys on the one hand while taking away their livelihoods on the other.

How about some honesty and transparency?

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

So what are you all going to do?

I'm going to finish out my current projects and then switch from native BB to Flash.

Anyone feel they really must have OpenGL?  There are Flashable games like Tetris and Bubble Breaker that make plenty of money.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I already have Actionscript experience, but my instinct tells me HTML5 for simple apps and C for more involved apps (or for Webworks/Phonegap plugins).

The entire industry seems to be moving toward a web paradigm for UI development. Phonegap for example allows deployment on all major platforms with essentially a single code base.

So Webworks/Phonegap, HTML5 and jQuery. I think Sencha is probably a better direction, but for the moment I'd prefer to avoid license fees until I see if a commercial app would work.

That way I can get started now provided I avoid custom plugins.

Developer

I will abandon BB.

My app is on the first line of the financial section of RIM but this is too much for me.

In any case, why are you saying that BB Java is dead? Where is the official annoucements?
How can you be so sure?
Its like pull a hammer on the balls

Developer

Check Simons initial post.

Or this link

BB Java dead

Developer
My Device: 9630, 9700, 9800
My Carrier: Verizon

Alec said in the DevCon Keynote, you should let him know what they're doing right or wrong. E left his e-mail on the screen: alec.saunders@rim.com I'm going to do exactly that.

DevCon.. yeah, I feel pretty con'ed at this point...