Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

Is there someone who think that porting apps to webworks / Adobe will have sense in terms of money?
Playbook was a flop because people has no interest in qnx and because there is no apps for it.

Developer

There are folks on the Crackberry board busy hacking all the apk files they can find (some clearly illegally) and creating BAR's.

I hate to admi't it, but RIM will get thousands of Android apps converted prior to launching BBX.

And they'll be able to claim access to 500,000 apps in their publicity junk.

Just a thought, but I'm not going to allow my annoyance at RIM to prevent me from cashing in. I think BBX will be a success because the QNX OS is better than anything else on the market.

When Apple launched the iPhone, they differentiated by claiming to "have an App for that". Jobs realised that his device was flawed but needed an edge. It worked.

For the first time RIM can deflect that approach by claiming to have 500,000 potential Android apps. (Even Angry Birds!). The fact the apps are limited in scope, that there really isn't 500,000 and that they're not terribly efficient won't matter.

It is a massive gamble on RIM's part, and they have behaved shamefully toward their loyal developer base (they clearly don't care at all), but their approach may work because in reality technically RIM has always had decent product.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Please refer to our recent blog post here:

Developer Roadmap: BlackBerry BBX and the BlackBerry Java SDK

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/10/bbx-blackberry-java-sdk-roadmap/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_med...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

good luck rim.

Developer
My Device: Torch

Basically no news in that post. Just made to sound a little better.

To be honest most of all I am pissed that now I have to throw away all the knowledge of the bb apis and framework.

But there is no point in feeling sorry...time to start android java or cpp or c# or whatever I decide to take up during the next month. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you Smiley Happy
Developer

dx22 wrote:

But there is no point in feeling sorry...time to start android java or cpp or c# or whatever I decide to take up during the next month. 

I don't think that this is true and that you will have the same idea once you have ported your apps to android.

At the moment I have ported one of our apps from Android to BlackBerry Android Player and our apps seems like a class B apps.

I have two UI method, the native android one and a home made UI toolkit that looks the same on all platforms.

The android UI (the one used by 99% of the android apps) will be clearly not good on blackberry player.

Targeting your blackberry development on android is clearly a no good method since the blackberry player will be always outdated in this rapid market.

It is clear that android player doesn't feel native, it is using an old version of android with many API lacks with the old gingerbred theme.
Porting android apps to blackberry android player is ok but don't expect to make the same succes you made with the native BB Java. Your apps will not look that good.

Developer

Thanks for the link Mark. Very reassuring  

"So, the next big question on your mind may be: Is this the end of the BlackBerry Java SDK? The short answer: Absolutely not.?"

That's right. It will be a slow painful death, with diminishing returns to developers, and diminshing support for customers. 

Either way, millions of lines of Java code are about to become obsolete.

We don't need a BlackBerry Player. We need a way of leveraging those millions of lines of Java code, that represent an enormous investment for smaller developers so we can continue to provide support and upgrades for our customers.

Using a Java to C converter, or a Java compiler to machine code, combined with an API set mapped from BlackBerry to QNX would be fine.

This is what happens when non-programmers run a Developer Relations group. They simply don't have the development background to come up with lateral solutions.

Developer

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:

Please refer to our recent blog post here:

Developer Roadmap: BlackBerry BBX and the BlackBerry Java SDK

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/10/bbx-blackberry-java-sdk-roadmap/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_med...

It's a case of bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Developer

How about an apology from RIM for waiting to tell us? It would be nice to read while I fill out a job application to Tim Hortons.

Thanks,

Scott

Developer
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

I think BBX will be a success because the QNX OS is better than anything else on the market.

I don't think anyone really cares about the OS, IMO there was nothing much wrong with the BB OS for a SmartPhone, it's all about the hardware and the apps not the underlying OS.

The problem RIM faces is that to succeed with a big platform shift like this you need a  lot of developer goodwill - they have just burned all that.