Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Develop an input method?

I want to develop a vietnamese input method that will appear in Options\Language, is there any clue on how to start ?

Thanks

Developer

Re: Develop an input method?

I would have the related question, similar to one asked earlier on this forum "how do you develop a font?"

I looked into this after someone asked and IIRC I found some programs that claimed to be GUI font

editors suitable for making BB downloadable fonts. When I saw pictures of bitmaps on the Font javadocs

pages, I thought I could eventually figure it out but so far no luck. If I just want a simple monospace font, or

a complete Asian character set, what are my options ( what things do I need to present to the target phone,

I'm not all that interested in GUI front ends, I just want to know what I load onto the phone and I can probably

generate it more automated tools). You always have the option of drawing arbitary figures from a char[] onto

a graphics area but it would be nicer to just intall a new font I would think.

Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

RIM does not provide any tools or APIs that could be used to create a new input method that would apply device wide.

Custom fonts can be created using the Plazmic CDK.  You can download it here:  http://www.plazmic.com/en/download/index.shtml

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Highlighted
Developer

The grep's I've been posting should pickup plazmic classes up to JDE4.3. Is the term "font" not used

in the javadocs or doesn't support go back this far ( I think your link says something about 4.6 but I'm not

sure "4.6 of what" and there were commercial products claiming to produce BB fonts of some kind).

Thanks.