Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: BB Storm 2 9550 v5.0.0.713 (Platform 4.2.0.323)
My Carrier: Verizon

Device Rebooting

A few installations of our application are having a problem with rebooting the device (All of them are using Storm 2 devices with 5.0.0.713 or 5.0.0.1015 installed). The device shows a white screen and then reboots several seconds later. I have never actually seen this happen on my device, however, one of the users snapped a picture of the error screen:

WhiteScreenError.jpg

In case the image doesn't show it reads:

----------------

ARM11 APPS Dog Keepalive

ARM9 Error on Apps: Beacon NCK. Time now: 1

Device Error: 348

Failed task: FIQ      (NOTE: Maybe EIQ ???)

File: dog_keepalive_apps.c

Line: 61

SP=0x1795cf20

LP=0x15d6ec2f

PC=0x16114330

------------------

The user that snapped the image assures me that there is no user installed application called Beacon NCK. As I said, I am having this problem with multiple users (but, just one was fast enough to get an image...so, it's a big assumption that they are the same exact error messages for everyone). I am at a loss as to where to go in order to resolve this problem.

Anyone run across this? Any ideas? I am open to anything right now.

-Mohkev

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Device Rebooting

What kind of application is the user using to encounter this issue? Any particualr line of code that is triggering the device to reboot? Is this issue only being seen on the Storm 2 or are users on other devices seeing this white screen as well?

Is see that you have mentioned that users who have reported the issue are on OS 5.0.0.713 and 5.0.0.1015. Have any other OS versions reported this issue?

Looking forward to your reply

Raihan Masroor
BlackBerry Development Advisor
New Developer

The application is one we developed. The application gives pickup/delivery drivers the ability to receive instructions (next pickup, cancelled pickup, etc) and send feedback (delivery code, GPS position, etc) to the back office. The communication is done through HTTP calls to a web service.

If there is a particular line of code that is triggering it, I don't know what it is. I cannot replicate the issue here. Not all of the devices have reported this issue. Our application is only installed on Storm 2 devices. These devices only have those two versions of the OS (5.0.0.713 & 5.0.0.1015).

Since my inital post, I had four of the devices reloaded with fresh versions of the 5.0.0.713 OS. Those devices went several days without any reported 'reboot'. Yesterday I had many more of them reloaded with fresh OS loads.

Developer
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: Airtel

There is a common way to detect if a device is continuing to work by installing a circuit refered to as watch dog. They can be implemented in hardware or software.The device processor needs to talk to the watch dog at regular intervals. If the dog goes without being contacted for a pre-determined interval, it results in the device getting rebooted.

Solution: Upgrade/reload your device OS after backing up your personal data and wiping your device

New Developer

Thanks for the response. Reloading the OS is exactly what we did. However, it only makes me wonder how long until we start seeing these errors again Smiley Sad.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

Hello Mohkev,

Can you try upgrading to the latest Bundle 5.0.0.1015 and see if the device reproduces this error? When you do encounter this error, can you obtain the device logs for further analysis.

Thanks

Raihan Masroor
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Storm 2
My Carrier: N/A

Hi,

I have Storm2 which has been giving me this error the whole day for the past 2 days - I have backed everything and deleted all from my blackberry.  I have also removed the memory card that I had bought about six months ago.

I have also managed to wipe the device and it has been working properly for 4 hours.  As soon as I inserted my sim card it gave me this error again.

Device is showing me this error and the readwrite error, alternating between them.  Most of the time the screen locks and to restart it I have to get the battery out.

Can you kindly help, I have only had this for a year!

Thanks