Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9550
Accepted Solution

Disabling word suggestion / AutoText / SureType in a particular EditField in OS 5.0

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I have a simple question to ask... does anyone know if it is possible to disable the word suggestion popup that occurs when you start typing into an EditField in OS 5.0? This didn't happen previously in OS 4.6/4.7 (or at least, on the Storm it didn't. On BlackBerry devices with physical keyboards a similar autosuggest feature would kick in).

Here's a screenshot of what I mean.

Here I'm trying to type in "bleach". However by "ble" the OS starts suggesting words. Normally I wouldn't care, except that this particular EditField is used as a Find function; as the user types it will scroll to a matching item in the ListView. If the OS is trying to autocomplete a word then my app can't match the word properly (even though the user has typed "blea" getText() is returning "bleak").

I've checked the various style flags for EditField, but so far I haven't found anything to turn this off. Currently I'm using the flags EditField.NO_LEARNING | EditField.NON_SPELLCHECKABLE | EditField.NO_NEWLINE.

Anyone have any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated... it's not a huge issue but it is a bit annoying and it reduces the usefulness of my Find feature since it only matches once you've typed the entire word.

New Developer
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: SFR

Re: Disabling word suggestion / AutoText / SureType in a particular EditField in OS 5.0

Have you found a solution? I have exactly the same problem... 

Thanks.

My Device: Storm 2 - 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Disabling word suggestion / AutoText / SureType in a particular EditField in OS 5.0

well, i have a Storm 2 but i think it goes the same way for urs...i went to options>Language and Text Input>then under Input Style i selected Auto Correction then i hit Show Text Input Options and un-checked auto correction.  Then after i saved it all i can now type without seein what they want me to type...so much better...hope it helps...Man Happy

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch

try style of your BasicEditField as TextField.NO_COMPLEX_INPUT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution. Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9550

Wow, this is a really old topic. Smiley Tongue

But yeah, I eventually tried NO_COMPLEX_INPUT and that's what got it to stop.