Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

E911 Only Setting

Hi all,

I presently work with a BB8830 OS4.5 on Telus. I made a simple application to test de locationProvide state. When I put my GPS setting on "E911 Only" in the advance option, The LocationProvider.getInstance() automaticly return null so I cannot test the method getState() to see if it OUT_OF_SERVICE.

He my question,

-  is it normal that the locationProvider return null ? ( I test getIntance(null) and getInstance(new Criteria())

-  is a way to detect the value of the GPS setting in advance option ?

-  if its normal that de locationProvider return null, what mean OUT_OF_SERVICE so...?

I hope i'm clear...

Regards, 

Pascal Bourque, Analyste-Programmeur : "je pense donc je programme"
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: E911 Only Setting

• You are not a 911 service so when "E911 Only" is enabled LocationProvider is basically disabled and will return null.
  • Most likely you can just check to see if getInstance is null, you can then ask the user if he/she has it disabled and how to turn it back on.
  • OUT_OF_SERVICE means that there is no way to get the phone's GPS coordinates.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

The problem is the LocationProvider set to null doesn't  stricticly mean E911 Only, it also mean other problems so the question is how to differentiate de E911 Only statut.

The goal of the question is to alert the central when a user set it to E911 Only so the answer "ask him" doesn't count...

Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.
Developer

Any idea someone ?