Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Eclipse Plugin Beta2

The version of the BlackBerry JDE or BlackBerry JDE Component Pack must be equal to or lower than the BlackBerry handheld software version.

What Is - Appropriate version of the BlackBerry JDE
Article Number: DB-00537

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/What_Is_-_Appr...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

What if under Blackberry->Configure Blackberry workspace-> Imported jars I set it to the 4.2 jar file?

Would that then compile a valid 4.2 application?

It is a bit ridiculous that the first beta worked with 4.2 but the new one doesn't.  No matter how much we would like all devices to have 4.5 or newer thats not the reality and almost all developers compile with 4.2

The Eclipse Plugin is great, I hope we can figure out a way to get it working with 4.2.

New Developer

I don't think that the Blackberry Eclipse Plugin supports 4.2 - is that correct?  At the very least that does not appear to be one of the options available in my Eclipse, and I have the 4.2 Component Pack installed.

So does that mean it's not possible to use Eclipse to develop for 4.2?  (Which I believe is the version that most developers code for?)

Developer
My Device: Passport

I think most developers code for 4.1 or 4.2.  Most currently-shipping devices seem to be running 4.2 or 4.3 depending on model (but are capable of 4.5 if the carriers ever bother to offer it).

Of course while Eclipse is a great environment for development, I strongly suggest a more automated build process for your end-result that'll work against any JDE.  Personally, I prefer to use Ant and a package called "BlackBerry Ant Tools" (http://bb-ant-tools.sourceforge.net/).

New Developer
My Device: Bold

First I have to say: the new Eclipse plugin seems to work better than the first beta version for me ...

I got the same problem everyone else in here has: I am developing for 4.2 OS devices and it is not possible to do that with the new Eclipse Plugin. I installed the components package for 4.2.1 but I am not able to select this version in the Eclipse preferences dialog :-(

Has anybody found a workaround or will RIM provide a fix for this?

New Developer

dkonigs - are you saying it's possible to use "BlackBerry Ant Tools" to make a 4.2 .cod file using eclipse?
New Developer

I too would be interested in how to use bb-ant-tools for building 4.2 compatible BlackBerry cod files
New Developer

Well, I can answer my own questions because I got this to work.

The BB Eclipse Plugin will not make a .cod file with a version lower than v4.3.  (No idea why they made that the cut off, when very few applications are written for v4.3...)  That's not too big of a deal when you're testing/debugging and using the simulator - you just have to make sure not to use newer APIs than your target version.  However, your .cod file must be compiled with a lower version of rapc in order to make it work on older devices.

To do that I'm using bb-ant-tools - http://bb-ant-tools.sourceforge.net/.  That will allow you to use a rapc ant task that generates the .cod file using the 4.2 component package.  (It says you need the JDE, but you don't - just the component package.)  I assume that any version of the JDE or component package would work here if you have one older than 4.2.  The ant task has arguments for the app title, icon, etc.

Anyways, this worked for me and I was able to load a simple Hello World application on a 4.2 device.  I was even able to use the .alx file that is generated by the Eclipse plugin.

Developer
My Device: Passport

I would actually recommend against using the Eclipse plugin for any official release builds, regardless of BB OS version, and stick to more flexible external tools like bb-ant-tools.  The reason is flexibility in what gets included in the resulting COD.  The Eclipse plugin is still very immature, and has obviously not been tested well enough.  One thing I've noticed it doing is actually including all my hidden ".svn" directories in the resulting build, for example, and making COD stacks much bigger than they should be due to such issues.  (I should probably write RIM an issue about this.)  I've also noticed that it generally goes crazy in a variety of other use cases common in a real project but uncommon in a standalone-lab environment.
New Developer

Thanks, I decided to create an ant build file for building my releases. Although my application has two entry points it was easy to build it with bb-ant-tools.

@dkonigs: I experienced the same problem with .snv files - butit seems like this got fixed with the new version of the JDE Eclipse plugin.

Another problem I still have with the JDE Eclipse plugin is that only one of my entry points got recognized and the build console says there is no main method for the second one. After fidling around with the project settings without really making a change suddenly everything works again.