Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Orange

EditField and AutoComplete

Hi - I have developed an application that has EditFields. I tried it out on a 9700, OS version 5 - And saw that on that device the spell-check/autocomplete pops automatically when the user clicks on the trackpad - And this despite the fact that i overrided trackwheelClick(). The only way to "confirm" some spelling, is by pressing the ENTER key. My problem arises in the login screen - If users are not aware they need to use the Enter to validate their chosen username, pressing the navigation click just leads them to the spell check.

So two questions 

1. Is this the expected behaviour on OS 5 devices? Do users expect the Trackwheel/Trackpad click to act as a "confirm text" like the ENTER button, or as a spell check?

2. How can i disable this behaviour ( Since spellchecks don't make sense in username fields... ) ? I am using EditField, and not AutoTextField, so i assumed this behaviour will be avoided. And why am i not capturing the trackwheelClick()?

Since this is a trackpad, do i need to override a different function?

Thanks, Dan.

Regular Contributor

Re: EditField and AutoComplete

Okay, i just understood my problem - In JDE 4.3.0 + , a new style bit Field.NonSpellChekable  was added, but i'm building my application in JDE 4.2.1.

Is there anyway to achieve this in pre 4.3.0 OS's?

Also - I'm wondering what is the normal behaviour - with the spell check turned on, do users actually always use the enter button to enter a non-approved spell-check word?

Or is there some other standard blackberry behaviour to ignore spell check that i'm not aware of?

Thanks again,

Dan.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

"a new style bit Field.NonSpellChekable  was added, but i'm building my application in JDE 4.2.1."

Just a suggestion, compile something in 4.3 which will enable you to find out what the setting is, then add that setting, as a number, to the style in your 4.2.1 build.  I've not tried this, but I see no reason why this won't work and enable you to create a 4.2.1 compilation with a Field that does not support spell checking. 

Let us know how you get on with this.

Sorry, can't help with the other questions. 

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

For your question number two:

Override navigationClick instead of trackwheelClick if you are having issues with that.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

Peter - Your solution probably would have worked, but i decided i'll simply move to using JDE 4.3.0 from now on - There are a few other features of 4.3.0 that i have been covetting for a while, and i guess not many pre 4.3 users left so i won't lose too many.

JCarty - I tried overriding navigationClick as well, but for some reason that didn't work - But eventually since i'm using the no spell check flag, i got the wished for behaviour on the 9700 ( at least on the simulator, still hadn't tried on a real phone ).

I have still one last ( a bit more obscure ) problem though - I am using the compatibility mode for the Touch devices - in these devices using the flag did not turn the spell check off - I understand that they still need to have some sort of auto-complete since they have a virutal SureType keyboard with two letters per button , but I can't seem to disable the full spell check. ( Which i need to do for them to be able to enter username, emails, etc... ).

If you have any idea about this...

Thanks anyway

Dan

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9350,8520
My Carrier: no

Hi,

please use this:

BasicEditField t1 = new BasicEditField("Enter:","",10,TextField.NO_COMPLEX _INPUT);

above code is work well.

Thanks
Vivek Kumar Srivastava.