Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Editfield with scrollable text

Hi,

I need a field similar to EditField, but with scrollable text. EditField jumps in a new line if the contents occupy more than one line, but i would like the text to be only in one line, and to be able to scroll it to right and left if it is longer than one line.

How can i do it? 

Thanks! 

Developer
Developer

Re: Editfield with scrollable text

You can use the EditField, but place it in a HorizontalFieldManager that you create using "HORIZONTAL_SCROLL" as a style.

It will work. I used it int he past.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Have a look at the sample in this BlackBerry Developer Journal article.  IT may do what you need.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/journals/jul_2005/creating_textbox_field.jsp

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Thank you very much! Both answers helped me.

I used the TextBoxField from BlackBerry Developer Journal article, but instead of VerticalManager vfm I created a HorizontalManager, and added the EditField to it. Now it works fine.

Thank you again! 

Developer

Hey MonikaG How did u soleve ur problem i want to know can pls provide a peace of code....it would be kind enough..thnaking u.....
Developer

Developer

Thank u Bikas...
New Contributor
My Device: 8900-Bold
My Carrier: vcb

Hi

I used the example...it works fine....but i coulnt scroll it...i couldnot able to select the text...any ideas????

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700

I am also facing same problem. I need to crate a scrollable editfield. The editField can increase upto 4 lines after that it must display last 4 lines. On scrolling  up and down user can go through the message. I have gone through the link

http://us.blackberry.com/devjournals/resources/journals/jul_2005/creating_textbox_field.jsp and used the code which is given on the document. On running it, my simulator is not loading the application. Is there any way to display vertical scrollber inside the editfield?

Developer
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

First of all, stop using that old example - it has some harmful code in it. Here is a knowledge base article which was created specifically to address those problems:

TextBoxField revisited

If you want a scrollbar there, you can replace VerticalFieldManager (vfm) in that code with VerticalScrollManager from the following article (remove VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR from vfm's constructor):

Implementing a standard style scrollbar on a BlackBerry device

Both articles have comments with additional ideas - take a look.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!