Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Emails got deleted when app uninstalled and device restarted

Hello Guys,

I am getting a wierd issue. I've create an auto start non GUI application.

My client is reporting the issue that when he delete the app from device and restart it, all his emails get deleted. However i couldn't replicate this issue in my device.

Does anyone know something about this issue? What could be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Developer

Re: Emails got deleted when app uninstalled and device restarted

Normally I would say the act of deleting an app should be completely separate from the retention of emails.

But I think you need to tell us a little bit more about what your app does. For example, does your app interact with email?

Contributor

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

The same thing I was trying to explain to my clients that there is no relation between app deletion & emails.

But FYI, my app listens for all the incoming and outgoing emails, sms, calls, etc. and send these info to server ina fixed duration. Its a tracking app for employees of the company.

Let me know if you need more information.

Developer

Because you do interact with the email processing, I would say the jury is out with respect to whether your app kills the email.  It is certainly able to do so. 

Best thing to do is to attempt to replicate their exact circumstances, especially OS Level on the phone and whether it is a corporate or non corporate phone. 

Contributor

So if it is because of my application, how can I fix this?

Highlighted
Developer

Good question - I think that is why you need it try to replicate the problem.

Because you have hooks in place, like your email listener, deleting your app will cause the device to restart.  This, potentially in combination with whatever you do in your email listener, might cause a problem.

Remember your listeners' run as part of the target application, for example your email listener will mostly run as part of the email application.  You need to have these listening routines coded very tightly with suitable error recovery and making sure they don't update anything unexpected.

In addition, there is always the possibility that there is some OS level interaction - you develop on one level, the devices are on another for example. 

I think ii s, unfortunately, all guess work until you can recreate the problem. 

Contributor

Thank you for suggestion and guiding me.

I will check my code. Also, I can try turning it off and ask my client to replicate the issue. This will make sure that email listener is creating problem.

Developer

"I can try turning it off and ask my client to replicate the issue"

That is a very good idea.  One situation that you are gong to struggle to replicate is exactly what the customer has on their phone.  If they have some other software that also interacts with email, then you may never recreate it because in fact it is not your software but the other app (or the interaction between your app and that other app). 

Really sorry we don't have an instant answer for you here.  I can this problem taking a lot of your time. 

Contributor

That's ok, I understand that its time taking but I am really getting the help. Thank's for that.

I've scheduled a meeting with my client. I will also ask him to delete all third party apps and test again. Anything which can help me to get closer to the issue, I will do it.

Thank's for all your help