Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Error code 8 when trying to start an rtsp audio stream.

I've tried to create the Player object in my application to play an audio file I have on a streaming server.  I am able to successfully do it through wifi (by appending the interface=wifi parameter) but when I do it through the carrier network (by appending the connectionUID=[...]), I get an error code of 8.  Does anyone know what this error code means?  I am using a BlackBerry Bold on the AT&T network.

I used the following knowledge base article to retrieve the connectionUID for AT&T:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

which turns out to be "WAP2 trans".

Retired

Re: Error code 8 when trying to start an rtsp audio stream.

Here is a listing of all of the error codes you can receive from the PlayerListener ERROR constant which are also reflected in the updated Javadocs for the 4.7 release.

RIM Implementation Note

The String object specifying the error may be a numerical error code, in which case it corresponds to one of the errors below:
Error CodeError
1Media player busy: the media player is currently performing an operation that precludes the requested operation.
2Invalid parameter: a parameter was specified with an invalid value.
3Insufficient memory: there is insufficient memory to perform the requested operation.
4Need more data: playback cannot proceed until the streaming source provides more data.
5Unspecified: some error occured which does not fit into any other category.
6Format: an error in the media file was detected.
7No server response: a server has stopped responding.
8Connetion lost: the current connection has been dropped.
9DNS resolve error: an invalid URL has been detected.
10Unseekable: the media player needs to seek in the file in order to access headers, but can't since the file being played is unseekable.
11Connection timeout: the (streaming) server is unreachable.
12No rights: indicates the DRM agent wasn't able to find a valid digital right in the media.
13General client error: the streaming server rejected the streaming request.
14Server error: an error occured on the streaming server while streaming.
15Payment required: payment is required to stream this item from the server.
16Forbidden: the streaming server has rejected the streaming request for security reasons.
17Client file not found: the item required to stream doesn't exist or has been removed from the server.
18Client proxy authentication required: device needs to authenticate with a proxy server before streaming.
19Client request URI too large: the request URI sent to the server is too large.
20Not enough bandwidth: there is not enough bandwidth to support streaming.
21Client session not found: streaming session has been removed by the server (e.g.: when paused for too long).
22Unsupported transport: the streaming server/network doesn't support UDP/TCP streaming.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Developer

Mike,

Thank for the quick response!  Now, is there any reason why the Player would return an error code of 8 on an rtsp stream that works successfully through the browser?  I've been working with a colleague of yours, bzubert, to try and figure it out but to no avail.  I've successfully gotten it through wifi but not through the carrier network.

Developer

I may have similar problem to this. Has anyone got this problem figured out?

Thanks

Developer

I did finally get it figured out.  The parameters I was passing in after the rtsp URL were incorrect and after I passed in the proper parameters, got the streaming to work. 

What parameters are you passing in and what phone/carrier/platform are you using?

New Contributor

Highlighted
New Contributor

I'm getting error code 9 when trying to play a video on youtube.
DNS resolve error: an invalid URL has been detected.

How ca this be solved??