Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Errors with Eclipse JDE Plug-In and Subversion

I'm using v 1.0.0.67 of the JDE Plug-in for Eclipse with component packages 4.5.0 and 4.2.1 and the build process seems to really hate the .svn directories and files in it.  I get error messages like this

"Errors during build.

Errors running 'BlackBerry Resources Builder' on project 'XXXXX'

Could not compile file

java.io.FileNotFoundException: [pathtodir]\.svn\.all-wcp.rrh"

If I remove all the .svn directories, everything will happily build, but as soon as I connect a project to SVN, the builder starts going haywire.

I've tried removing all the references to the .svn directories in the project's .jdp file, but the IDE keeps writing over it when it loads the project.  I've searched this forum, and I see that the plug-in doesn't pay attention to the exclusion properties of the IDE with things like the open resources dialog, but this problem is greater than that for me.  I have to take my files out of subversion for it to happily build the workspace, so that leaves my copy/pasting files to a holding directory so I can commit to source control and that's .... a bit wonky to say the least.  

Has anybody seen this and found a way to solve it?  I can provide a test SVN url to download a test project, if that helps reproduce the issue.  I just upgraded my BlackBerry dev environment, I had been using Eclipse 3.3.1 and an older version of the JDE Eclipse plug-in and it didn't have these problems.  

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Errors with Eclipse JDE Plug-In and Subversion

Please refer to this post:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=3154
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Thanks for the response.  I've seen that post, but it doesn't solve my problem.  You mentioned the beta release of the plugin not following exclusions, is 1.0.0.67 still considered a BETA?  When will it not be a BETA?

"jflores" recommended editing the .jdp file to remove the .svn directories and restart Eclipse, but as I noted that doesn't work for me because the .jdp file is rebuilt every time the project is opened and the .svn directories are added right back.

The only solution I've been able to find that works is to detach my files from .svn by removing all those directories from the file system, but then they're obviously no longer connected to subversion and my source control is effectively gone.  That can't be the acceptable solution.  Sure, it's what I'm doing now, but that is really bad.  If I could just remove them from the project that would be fine, but I have to remove them from the filesystem as well. 

Highlighted
New Developer

Has this issue been resolved yet?
New Developer

Hey mfaulise, I've not downloaded the Eclipse plugin again (not even sure if there's an updated version, I don't see a good way of knowing that or getting notified of releases), so I'm not sure.  I setup my environment so I have one directory that is just for SVN and one that is my work directory, without any of the .svn dirs, and use an app called GoodSync to synch up the two directories.  It's a bit of a nightmare, at least initially, but it's what I'm doing because I could find no other way to have Eclipse stop seeing those files. 
New Developer

This is still a major issue. Blackberry please fix this and update. It make the eclipse plugin unusable. Here is another thread dealing with the issue. Please fix. The JDE is not a substitute for eclipse.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Strange-build-error-after-code-checked-into-...

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Developer

Hey,

I couldn't agree with you more, I've had this problem for some time now and I've made serveral postings about the plugin (for a separate reason).  The blackberry workspace has two severe drawbacks:

(1) "Src" is the only offically recognised source folder.

(2) Third party libraries cannot be brought into the workspace.

I have been repeatedly told to use JDE instead, which is an extremely poor IDE.  I was also told that there wasn't enough market pressure to convince RIM that the Eclipse plugin with worth any further development: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Eclipse-JDE-Plugin/m-p/370926#M69870

I don't think RIM recognise that Eclipse and Netbeans are the two mainstream IDEs out there and that they both have large communities, which help form a good support network.  JDE is very substandard and can hardly be taken seriously as a professional tool for developing Java apps.  Even worse, what kind of message do you think this sends out to the Java community in general?  We don't give a monkies what you use, if you want to develop blackberry apps, you will use what we give you (JDE), and you will learn to like it!.  That's the message I get when I see the JDE plugin in eclipse.  I know of some people who have completely dropped developing on the blackberry because of the poor level of support and have gone off to either Android or Windows CE.  Very bad state of affairs for RIM, there is some kind of conference on

at San Franciso this week coming with regards to developing stuff on the blackberry. I hope several people bring up the eclipse plugin.  If they don't have any inclination to progress it beyond what it is, they could at least make it open source and allow developers to get their hands on it.  Wishful thinking, oh well C'est la vie.

New Developer

I totally agree, smunro, and would be pretty shocked if we're in the minority on this.  The development environment is a pretty huge hinderance, the tools feel like alpha versions of open-sourced projects from a decade ago.  At best.  I'd never heard what you mentioned on "not enough market pressure to convince RIM that the Eclipse plugin is worth further development" - if that's the case, that's really disconcerting.  I was just assuming the version I've been using would be improved upon soon.

I recently went to the StackOverflow Dev Days conference in Washington, DC and there was a demo on iPhone development.  I was laughing while watching the presenter do a live demo building an app.  I said to my friend "that would've taken two hours with the BlackBerry environment", even with preparation for the demo.  It's truly unreal how much more robust other mobile develoment environments are.

New Developer

Woot, there is a new version of the plug-in, apparently discussed in the Keynote of the dev conference today (boo, I'm not there!).  I've not tried it yet, but here is the download link, the feature list is promising...

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/devbetasoftware/javaplugin.jsp