Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Exception being thrown on Database.beginTransaction()

Hi all -

I am stumped on a problem I am having with SQLite.

I have a SQLManager class I have defined that has

private Database _db = null;

as a data member. I initialize the database properly. I have a getter method, getDB(boolean checkConnection) which does a validity check to make sure that my Database object is OK prior to my using it.

Now, the Database class is an Interface - what gets returned by all the database operations is DatabaseImpl which we can only access via the interface methods provided. DatabaseImpl has 2 internal data members - db (which is a SQLite handle) and dbConn (which is a DatabaseConnection).

These internal data members could, for some reason, become invalid, therefore, just checking if my _db member is not null is not sufficient to know if I have a good database connection. This is why my validity check looks like this:

protected boolean dbConnectionIsValid() throws Exception {
        try {
            if (_db == null) {
                return false;
            }
            Statement st = _db.createStatement("select current_timestamp");
            st.prepare();
            st.execute();
            st.close();
            return true;
        }
        catch(Exception e) {
            // if anything went wrong, assume the connection is invalid, log it and return false
            msgDialog("dbConnectionIsValid()::caught exception, returning false::" + e.toString());
            return false;
        }
    }

I run a simple "select timestamp" query to return the current time and date, and if that works, I am good, otherwise I just assume that the connection is bad and I try to reopen it.

(FYI - I filed issue JAVAAPI-1206 with RIM months ago to address the inability to detect the state of the DatabaseConnection...)

The validity check returns true and the _db member apepars to be valid but when I call the following:

Database db = getDB(true);
            db.beginTransaction();

I catch net.rim.device.api.database.DatabaseException: : SQL logic error or missing database

on the beginTransaction method.

Why is this happening and what can I do about it?

Dave