Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: 09980930848

FYI: Blackberry JDE 4.6 setup on Mac

Hi All,

I couldn't find any posts suggesting how to run JDE 4.6 with BB Eclipse on a Mac... so I tried a few ways and figured out the below. Hope it helps others to fully utilize the Mac for 4.6.. 5 & 6.0 BB development.

My configuration:

Mac: OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

CPU: Intel Core 2 DUO

Java: 1.6.0_26    

The BB Java Plug-in for Eclipse v1.3 includes the BB JDE 6.0.. but if you are developing apps for other platforms, there is no quick way (at least I didn't find one). Here's how to configure it:

1. In your BB Eclipse installation.. goto Help > Install New Software...

2. Add the site 'http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/java' and look for the listing of all the Blackberry Java SDK's available (currently I see: 4.5.0,   4.6.0,    4.6.1,   4.7.0,   5.0.0,   6.0.0,   7.0.0)

3. Select the JDE/SDK you want to install and click Finish

4. Let the download happen (@145MB or so), after completion, shutdown BB Eclipse and go into your BB Eclipse 'plugins' directory (e.g.: /Developer/BBEclipse/plugins)

5. This directory should contain your downloaded JDE (whichever version)... e.g. dir listing of the JDE's:

These JDE's are wired to work on windows, so the next few steps will help you switch them to Mac

6. Within above directories you should find 'components', this contains:

which are windows specific. Either delete or rename both these directories, and copy the same two directories from the 6.0.0 JDE directory to 4.6.0 'component' directory (remember 6.0.0 JDE was created by BB for Mac)

7. Within the 'components' directory (root level) you should find a file 'BlackBerry.ee', this is again Windows specific, so change the first 3 lines of code to below and save the file:

8. That's it, now restart BB Eclipse and go into 'Configure Build Path' and 'Add Library', you should be able to see '4.6' or any other JDE you downloaded/updated recently under 'Alternate JRE'.

Best Luck! Thanks.

Hope your quest for knowledge continues... and eventually... comes to a grand conclusion.