Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Failed to Run jar file on Blackberry

Hi experts,

We have coouple of solutions in the market based on j2me, working fine with normal nokia, SE, Alcatel, imate phones. I tried to install them on Blackbery 8800 I got an error, Invalid file or so....

Does blackberry requires special APIs?

I installed the JDE 4.6 , and tried to open the files from the Simulator, it is asking only for .cod file ?

May you help please?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Failed to Run jar file on Blackberry

How are you trying to install the application and what is the exact error you are receiving?  Please see the following.

How To - Load applications onto a BlackBerry smartphone
Article Number: DB-00041

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800647/How_To_...

How To - Compile a MIDlet into a COD file
Article Number: DB-00055

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/How_To_-_Compi...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer
New Developer

Trying by opening the link that has the jar file from the net. If the file get downloaded an error says invalid application or jar file (as far as I remember).

thnx

New Developer
New Developer

Hi... Thanks for your help

I created the .cod file as mentioned in the above link. Now I have the original TheGroup.jad TheGroup.jar files, and group.jdp , group.jdw , group.jar , group.cod , group.cso , group.debug !!

What should be put in the server for the blackberry to download from the WAP browser ?

What about the Simulator ? I tried to open the .cod file but nothing happens at all !

thanks for help

If you are creating a MIDlet, please ensure that the application type has been set to MIDlet.  This is set within the BlackBerry JDE by right clicking on the project, selecting properties and the clicking on the application tab.

This link summarizes on how to load applications on a BlackBerry handheld.

How To - Load applications onto a BlackBerry smartphone
Article Number: DB-00041

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800647/How_To_...

Mark Sohm

New Developer
New Developer

Thanks

I did exactly the same as mentioned in the link. I also set it to MIDlet.

Which files should be uploaded to the server ?

Why the simulator is not opening the file? does this simulator come with the JDE or I have to download the simulator separately?

let me know please

thanks

The .JAD and .COD files should be placed on the web server.  Make sure you have these MIME types setup on your server.

What Is - The required MIME types for a web server to serve BlackBerry smartphone applications
Article Number: DB-00439

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/What_Is...

Why the simulator is not opening the file? does this simulator come with the JDE or I have to download the simulator separately?

What are you trying to do here?  Open the application in the BlackBerry Simulator, use the Load Cod file menu, install the application using the BlackBerry Browser, etc...?

Mark Sohm