Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection timed out.

I started receiving this error a few days ago, and I'm almost out of patience. I've read all the previous threads and still can't fix it. Does anyone have a sure-fire method to fix this?

I don't have anything else running on port 8000 that I can find (the port that it seems to be trying to connect on).

I've reinstalled Eclipse.

I've started with a new workspace.

I've cleaned the simulator.

I've cleaned and rebuilt the project.

I've done all of the above in various orders and combinations, multiple times

I'm running on a Windows XP system (SP3). Reinstalling XP is not an option.

I don't know what caused this, unless it was an XP update, as I don't use the system for much else.

Any suggestions would be great, even if they are ideas on how to pinpoint the problem.

Developer

Re: Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection timed out.

Still haven't solved this.

Can anyone offer me suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem? Debugging tips? Blind guesses?

Developer

Now into uncharted territory. Went deep into the eclipse folders and found the simulator directory, and I'm launching the simulators directly from there. And they hang.... So the problem might be the simulator(s)?

When I try to launch a simulator, it creates files with .dmp and .bug extentions, does anyone know how to interpret these files?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE

Did you try other simulators. I find the 8520 be very lightweight.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer

Thanks for the reply. I've tried all the 'standard' emulators -8900, 8250, 9630, 9550 and 9700.

Reluctantly headed toward a full reinstall ...

Developer

Sigh. Full install complete. I installed the JDK before I did any of those pesky Windows updates, and tested it again after every subsequent update (there were a LOT of them :-) ).

The bottom line is that it now works (again). I did this fresh install on a new drive, and kept the original drive in the box as a secondary drive. I pointed the new install to the original workspace and .... it works! So the problem apparently isn't in the workspace.

I'm keeping the original drive the way it is, and if anyone stumbles across this post and has a soluton, I'd like to hear it so I can try it out. Right now I'm paranoid that this will happen again in the future.....