Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Feedback on the "BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse Tech Preview for Mac OS X"

I've now downloaded the presposterously-named "BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse Tech Preview for Mac OS X".

I did so in a bid to solve the problem reported here.

The "BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse Tech Preview for Mac OS X" turns out to be a full-blown Eclipse install, with a BlackBerry plug-in bundled in.

This is pretty annoying, because I already have an Eclipse install, and I really don't want another one. I just want a plug-in that works in my existing install, alongside the other plug-ins I use regularly, like the Mercurial plug-in, etc, etc.

So now I have a new Eclipse install that has a working BlackBerry plugin but none of the other plug-ins I need, and another Eclipse install that has all the other plugins I need but which - because of the issue linked above - doesn't have a working BlackBerry plugin. Smiley Mad

I really don't want to have to install all my usual plugins into the new Eclipse install.

Anyone know if there's a way to "transplant" the working BlackBerry plugin/JRE from the new install into my existing install without breaking the latter? 

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Feedback on the "BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse Tech Preview for Mac OS X"

I assume you are using a Mac, so I don't know for sure if this will work, but you can try.

I am using the "Galileo" Eclipse version in a Win7 environment.  In Eclipse, click the Help menu and click "Install New Software".  Click the "Add" button.  Type "BlackBerry Update site" in the Name text box, and use "http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java" for the Location text box and click OK.  This will display a dialog box of the plug-in and various OS versions you can install.

Here's a screen shot of what you should see.

BB update plugin.png

Choose what you want to install and click next.  After a brief requirements analysis, click Finish and it will download to Eclipse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To error is human, but to really mess things up requires admin rights.

If this post has helped, don't be shy and click the kudo's star !!!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Feedback on the "BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse Tech Preview for Mac OS X"

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already been there, tried that. (That's what the link to the other forum thread was about.)

Anyway, I've now seen this bug which is a show-stopper for me, so I'm going to have to wait until it's fixed before trying to do any BlackBerry development on the Mac.