Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Fixed width font

My application requires a fixed width font.  This is so that numbers when arranged in columns look uniform (and decimal points align).

The font "BBSerifFixed" isn't really non-proportional, despite the name.

However, by deriving a font and using the effect Font.MONO_WIDTH_EFFECT, one gets something a little bit better.  However one then has to specify the largely undocumented anti-aliasing effects in the derive() invocation.

It would be nice if it was possibly to apply an effect to a font without all the other parameters.

But the worst things is that the MONO_WIDTH_EFFECT produces the most horrible font spacing one could imagine.  The characters are more-or-less double-spaced.  Presumably this is because of internal miscalculations or the existence of a single well-over-normal-width character.

I also note the the '.' character is always aligned to the left when it should be centered within its space when  MONO_WIDTH_EFFECT is in effect.

When will BlackBerry be able to support user installed fonts?  The current fonts cripple an applications appearance significantly.

Developer

Re: Fixed width font

I ran into a similar problem...I needed a series of numeric edit fields that would display fixed width fonts, and no combination of built in fonts gave me what I wanted.  There are some posts in the old forums that led me to this solution, but its basically to roll a custom field class.  In my case, the edit fields contain a fixed number of digits, so it makes the math a little easier.  This class also doesn't support decimals, but it shouldn't be too hard too adapt.

class FixedWidthNumericEditField extends BasicEditField { private static final long STYLE = DrawStyle.VCENTER | DrawStyle.HCENTER | Field.FIELD_VCENTER | Field.FIELD_HCENTER | BasicEditField.FILTER_NUMERIC; private final int digitWidth; private final int fieldWidth; public FixedWidthNumericEditField(final int length, final int fieldWidth, final Font font, final FieldChangeListener fieldChangeListener) { super("", "", length, STYLE); digitWidth = fieldWidth / length; this.fieldWidth = fieldWidth; setChangeListener(fieldChangeListener); setFont(font); // This is needed because of our custom drawFocus logic. Without invalidating the control, // there are areas of the screen that do not get redrawn as you move the cursor around setFocusListener(new FocusChangeListener() { public void focusChanged(Field field, int eventType) { invalidate(); } }); } public int getPreferredWidth() { return fieldWidth; } public int getPreferredHeight() { return super.getPreferredHeight(); } protected void layout(int width, int height) { width = getPreferredWidth(); height = getPreferredHeight(); super.layout(width, height); super.setExtent(width, height); } protected void drawFocus(Graphics graphics, boolean on) { int pos = getCursorPosition(); int x = (pos * digitWidth) + (getFont().getAdvance(getLabel())); int y = 1; drawHighlightRegion(graphics, Field.HIGHLIGHT_FOCUS, on, x, y, digitWidth, getHeight()); } protected void paint(Graphics graphics) { int x = 0; int y = 0; int digitCount = getTextLength(); Font f = getFont(); char c; int charWidth; int digitCenter; int left; for (int i = 0; i < digitCount; i++) { c = charAt(i); charWidth = f.getAdvance(c); digitCenter = x + (digitWidth / 2); left = digitCenter - (charWidth / 2); graphics.drawText(c, left, y, 0, digitWidth); x += digitWidth; } int w = getWidth(); int h = getHeight(); graphics.setColor(0x00000000); graphics.drawRect(0, 0, w, h); } }

Highlighted
New Developer
New Developer

Re: Fixed width font

Thanks for the hint.  Yes, I am already doing that.  For vertical text rotated 90 degrees I have to position each individual character.  And I have to use the metrics from the original unrotated font.  And I have to iterate over just the characters I intend using to find the true maximum width.  But it still looks terrible. And it impacts badly on performance. So I haven't resorted to that technique for the normal horizontal font yet.

But one shouldn't have to stoop so low.  Fonts should be installable.  And their metrics should be accurate.