Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Formatted Input Field???

Unlike most other languages we work in, Java on the Blackberry does not appear to have an input field which will accept an input mask.  

We're used to being able to set a property of a field to an input mask like "(###) ###-###"  or   if part numbers require an Upper case character followed by a lower case character followed by a dash and three numbers, then "Xx-###"  - the nature of the mask string depending on the specifics of the langugage but apparently, this environment has no such thing.

Ok, fine,  then we were looking for a "validate" method that fired BEFORE the unFocus method of a text field or an edit field so that we could WRITE a validate against a mask, but again, no such thing that I can see.  

Over and over I see replies that say "Learn some basic java, learn some Swing don't ask Newb questions."  But SWING has JFormattedTextField, and apparently Blackberry ui doesn't have an equivalent.  

On a different thread I saw a clue as to how to WRITE a FormattedTextField....  

Looking at it I think the logical place to deal with it is in keyChar() isn't it? Then I can check the length of the getText() to date, compare the incoming character against the appropriate character of the mask, and if it's good, call super.keyChar() and if it's not, return false.  

Am I on the right track here, or is there a "standard" way to do this that I'm overlooking?  I _hate_ reinventing the wheel over and over.  

Rick 

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Formatted Input Field???

you can create editfields with input styles, like phone, url, numbers etc, but not with complex masks.
to achieve this keychar is one of several solutions, yes. it is a bit difficult to handle reduced keyboards etc though.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Reduced keyboards is why I thought keyChar() instead of whatever key PRESS is, since presumably the character is settled by the time it's called.  

uh  if keyChar() isn't good for reduced keyboards, then what _does_ make sense?  what is consistantly called before unFocus that could be used as a field-valid method?  

-- that question is presuming, of course, that unFocus can't be stopped, which may be wrong.  If I can say "no, wait, don't unFocus this, it isn't valid"  then unFocus would work fine, but in my reading, I don't see a way to do that.  If I can "just" refturn false from unFocus if the field isn't valid and call super.unFocus if it is, then that works great.  

But it seems unlikely given the reading I've been doing.

Rick

Developer

In my experience keyChar is not invoked in a sensible way with reduced keyboards (including the Storm) so I wouldn't use it.  I've ended up using a FieldChanged Listener (making sure it wasn't called recursively when I reset the Field if it was incorrect). 

And I believe you can use the onUnfocus and I think I've done a setFocus in it, though I wasn't comfortable about doing so.  I suspect the 'proper' way to do this is use invokeLater to (a) display a Dialog box explaining the problem and (b) do a setFocus to get Focus back on the Field you want.  At least I think that should work.

New Developer

Thanks.   I agree that a field-changed listener is the best way to go for character-by-character validation

for a "whole field validate",  unFocus and doing a setFocus makes sense

The other thing we were considering was using navigationMovement, doing the whole-field validate there, and if it was invalid, set dx and dy to 0, and calling super.navigationMovement, which should prevent unFocus from firing.....  

All in all, the absence of a "Validate" method which fires before unFocus is just "odd" to meevery other language I've done object oriented screen builders in had onereturn true if valid, return false if not. Simple dimplethis willy-nilly pick and choose which method you want to cram a field-valid into seems odd at best.  

StillI suppose I can build a library of "myEditField", "myDateField" etc, which have a valid method, and which have code in the "...something..." method which CALLS the valid method.  

and then, we just do what we want in Valid for this instance, and return true or false, and it should work

Anyway, thanks for listeningI appreciate itAfter 9 years of working in windows and on Palm OS, the blackberry is stretching my aging brains ability to form new pathwaysThat's probably good for me

Developer

Oppsss.  I forgot to mention TextFilter.  I think you might be able to use it.  To be honest, I've looked at doing things using a TextFilter but found it not very clear.  But I'm not the sharpest tool.  So I would encourage you to have a look at it.

I've just implemented, for a 3rd party, a mask validation checking function (*99 means ends in 2 digits for example).  This is only used to verify the Fields once the Screen has been finished, as part of the 'Next' processing, so I didn't have the need to implement this in things like Field onUnfocus.  However I'm thinking I might do it if it is easy, so your findings could be useful to me. 

Of course you also have to do it at Screen completion in case the Field never gets focus - and remember wit the Storm focus doesn't just go up and down....

Highlighted
New Developer

oh heck, I'm using a grid manager anyway.  focus doesn't just go up and down...  :-) 

that's why I was thinking about using navigationMovement instead.  

As to textFilter, if there is a technique for textfilter to be overridden and ___ KNOW WHICH CHARACTER IT IS ON ___  I haven't figured it out yet.  :-)

Perhaps it can,  I just haven't figured it out yet.

If we do either of these I'm going to flat out POST THEM.  No one should ever HAVE to write this again.  Jeeeez.  

Developer

One other thing, I'm not sure how navigatinMovement works in a Storm, it is soemthing I've never seriously looked at.  If you are targetting a Storm, you might like to give it quick test.  I know I have had problems with navigationClick on a Storm.

New Developer

Well.....  it turns out that we're going elsewhere anyway. 

But you gave us the clues we needed to make it work.

I'll be starting a different thread when we post a solution.

Thanks

Rick 

New Developer

Rick,

What did you come up with here?  I have beginnings of solutions revolving around overriding keyChar, but, nothing solid yet.  The Filters seem to be quite limited in their ability.  The phone number filter seems to simply allow the user to enter numbers.  I would like if possible to do somethign like put a template up for the user like this:

"(   )    -    "

And let the user type a phone number in.  Would be nice to be able to validate that the user actually entered 10 digits in as well.

Thanks,

Scott