Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Frame rate performance on the beta BlackBerry 7 simulators

Hi all,

I've just started the process of making sure my app works on BB 7.  A few minor issues, but nothing major.

However, I am running into what seem to be frame rate/performance issues on the BlackBerry 7 simulators (the beta 9900 simulator with 7.0.0.89 and the beta 9810 simulator with 7.0.0.103).

On the home screen, swiping from "All" to "Favourites" has a terrible frame rate (I'd say 6fps).  When expanding the all category, you see a similar frame rate when scrolling through the apps.

Within my app, I am seeing similar performance degredation.  Within my app, I have several custom controls that support animation.  On the v5 and v6 simulators, I would get approx 45 - 60 frames per second within my app (using the regular Java APIs....I'm not using OpenGL).  While I haven't quantified it yet, I'd say the simulators are giving me around the same 6 frames per second that just moving around the home screen was giving me.

I'm using Win 7 64bit.  My machine is about a year old.  8GB of RAM.  I have been developing successfully on it for that time, so I don't think there is anything with my machien config.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Is it a known issue to be addressed by the time 7 is released?

Thanks,

Mark