Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

GPRSInfo.GPRSCellInfo.getCellId() wrong for UMTS

[ Edited ]

I have experienced that GPRSInfo.getCellInfo().getCellId() returns the correct Cell ID if RadioInfo.getNetworkType() is RadioInfo.NETWORK_GPRS. However if I set the phone to use UMTS (3G), i.e. when RadioInfo.getNetworkType() is RadioInfo.NETWORK_UMTS the returned Cell ID is different from the value returned by any other phone I am using at the same location with the same SIM card. For instance:

BlackBerry 9000 (v4.6.0)       Other Phones

46632                                  26326568

56082                                  26336018

62492                                  26342428

So the BlackBerry returns 5 digit Cell IDs whereas the actual UMTS Cell IDs have 8 digits. This seems to me like a serious bug. Or is there any conversion needed for the Cell ID when using UMTS?

Thanks.

Message Edited by pjreez on 07-29-2009 09:00 AM
New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: GPRSInfo.GPRSCellInfo.getCellId() wrong for UMTS

I have found exactly the same problem with JDE 4.5 and a Tour OS 4.7 and a Bold OS 4.6 on 2 different networks. For GSM the Cell ID's are the same as all my other phones (Nokia, SonyEricsson, etc.) but the values the BlackBerry returns for UMTS Cell ID's is completely different than all my other phones. They are only 4 or 5 digits long while the other phones Cell ID's are 8 digits, same as the person above posted.

This looks like a serious bug. Hasn't anyone at RIM looked into this?Smiley Surprised

New Developer

>>BlackBerry 9000 (v4.6.0)       Other Phones

>>46632                                  26326568

46632 converted to Hex is B628

26326568 converted to Hex is 191B628

The rest is left as an excercise for the reader ;-)

p.s

http://easycalculation.com/decimal-converter.php

Developer

To complete ennova2005's comment, UMTS cell IDs have extra information encoded in them sometimes, see http://forum.openhandsetdevelopers.com/google-maps-with-my-location-my-location-t19.html

"            /* The shortCID parameter follows heuristic experiences:
             * Sometimes UMTS CIDs are build up from the original GSM CID (lower 4 hex digits)
             * and the RNC-ID left shifted into the upper 4 digits.
             */"

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Well, what ennova2005 says does not solve the problem. It just reveals that it's really a bug since the BlackBerry api returns only the lower 5 digits of the UMTS cell ID . You won't get the other digits therefore the retrieved cell ID is useless. Unless statement would always be true, in which case you could take it as a GSM cell ID. But since there is no way to know whether the retrieved UMTS cell ID is made up of a GSM cell ID or not the cell ID is useless.

E.g. in my case I get 10731 as GSM cell ID (29EB in hex) and 26336189 as UMTS cell ID (191DBBD in hex). There is no relation between the two numbers.

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Hey guys,

Well my Java skills are not that good but Since I am working on this stuff for developing WCDMA parameters I came across this thing in the Blackberry API http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/5.0.0api/net/rim/device/api/system/GPRSInfo.GPRSCellInfo.h...()  plz see the getCellID description. it says for UMTS networks we need to use getCellID as well as getBSIC in order to display the complete UC-ID which is similar to the format you guys have mentioned on the other phones above.. I am not sure but I would like also know about other parameters which needs to be changed for UMTS?? wat abt RSSI? ARFCN?>> and neighbour LISt?? do u have any details on what changes we need to make for UMTS?

plz get back to me on this...

Developer

I seem to be having the exact same issue... can anyone help with this?

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: 9700 bands 1,4,8 OS 5.0 ; 9700 bands 1,2,5,6 OS 6.0; 9520 OS 5.0

This function getBSIC is not working with Qualcomm CPU (Storm/Storm2)

But works fine with other BB CPUs.

I verified e.g. on 9700 - works fine.

------------------------------
Everything is possible