Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

GPS Altitude

BlackBerry Bold

OS 4.6.0.167

The altitude returned from Coordinates.getAlitutude() is returning a negative value.

Jon

Developer

Re: GPS Altitude

I presume it is not correct, in other words, you aren't actually in one of those spots on Earth that is actually lower than sea level or in a submersible.  Is it always giving you a negative value?  Or occasionally. 

I've found you do need to take note of the number of satellites before deciding whether the location is valid or not, so if you see this occasionally, I would be interested to know how many satellites you have on your dud readings.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I'm not in a sub at the moment - I am over a mile above sea level.  Smiley Very Happy

I've only had this problem on the Bold.

I usually get 4 or 5 sats on the Bold but the neg altitude is happening everytime.

It's not just a few meters either, it's like -1000 meters and more...

Perhaps something is whacked out with the ephemeris?

Message Edited by jonberry on 11-07-2008 02:35 PM
Developer

Just tested on my Bold (V4.6.0.126).  I also see -ve altitude, but only a few meters, like -80 odd.  We are about 50 meters up here so I know this is wrong, but I'm only seeing 5 sats (it is wet).  This is only with the built-in GPS, when I use an external GPS I see a more reasonable height.  I will take it for a walk tomorrow and see if I get anything more consistent with it.
Developer

[ Edited ]

I just installed 4.6.0.190 - that seems to fix the problem with negative altitude.

It's still not perfect but at least it closer.

Who gets the kudos?  Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by jonberry on 11-11-2008 11:24 PM
Developer

Apologies I did not come back to you. 

When taken for a walk, my Bold showed more reasonable heights.  I wonder if the negative altitude I saw was a result of it being wet?  Will have to test that further.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

maybe the bold feels like being a submarine when too wet
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Very good Simon, that made me laugh.

Just for clarification for those who don't know English weather shorthand, when we say it is wet, what we really mean is that it is raining.  I woud never let my Bold get wet!

Developer
My Device: Bold

Where did you get that version of the OS for the Bold? Running update doesn't find anything new beyond 167.
Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

well -I also stumble across this issue - the data is provided in WGS84 system - this system assume the earth is an elipsoide... I was quite asstonished when I started to Google about WGS84 and how complicated it can get to caluclate from that GPS data the "real" altitude I know from my typograpical map...[with refference points all over the world to calculate the "real" altitudes]

I can assue you there is nothing wrong with the device ore the os - it's the coordinate system (WGS84)!

Matthias

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]