Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: GPS Altitude

So I get reasonably accurate altitude from a Bluetooth puck via the same location API , so really there is something wrong with the BB hardware.. it cannot provide accurate altitude while other GPS devices can?

Developer
My Device: Bold

I don't see anyway how to change that settings. The altitude appears close enough, other than being negative. I'm taking the absolute values for nwo and see how well that works.
Developer

The altitude values I get here are within 15-20 metres but the wrong sign however other people have reported much larger discrepancies, for example one user of my application gets -500 ft at sea level in the UK.  I think the BB GPS hardware is just not capable of providing worthwhile altitude data.. I have 3 other GPS devices all of which provide correct values.

Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

[ Edited ]

In contrast to what I have earlier posted (about WGS84) I have encountert today a very strange behaviour. A Storm User have used my GPSLogger application on a Skydive jump - and the logged data is really really strange! - Since when he lifted off with the plane the recorded

javax.microedition.location.Location.getQualifiedCoordinates().getAltitude()

is decreasing constantly - it starts at - 39m (which is a possible value in WGS84) and then it goes down to -4719.0!!!

In WGS84 you could have negative values at least down to minus 100... but for sure not smaller then this... so what this storm have recorded is way OFF... 

The Number of satalites is also recorded - ans it's always above 9... so right here and right now I would like to say, that the data that I receive from the javax.microedition.location.QualifiedCoordinates is not correct - I have to multiplicate it with -1 to get the correct values... I will investigate the NMEA sentences a bit more in detail, if I can find a reason for this.

Kind Regards

Matthias

Message Edited by emac on 06-15-2009 01:42 PM
[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

Just as update - I have now additionally logged the MNEA sentence...

location.getExtraInfo("application/X-jsr179-location-nmea")

and already there I get on my Storm always a negative values for the altitude (alt is the 10'th value in the $GPGGA sentence -> see http://calvin.yeung.us/NMEA_sentences.htm)... So my assumtion is, that something in the lower level get's wrong...

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Developer
My Device: Bold

My observation is that the higher altitude, the larger negative value. I've seeing some gps apps that have completely given up on the altitude and just don't log it. Unless RIM chimes in and explains it, I think the altitude is not a reliable measuring tool.
Developer

It certainly looks like a bug in the Storm GPS, I get correct altitude using a Bluetooth puck with my storm via the LocationProvider API.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

These altitude anomalies are caused by issues with the BlackBerry handheld software.  Our development team is aware of this issue.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I can understand that it may take really long time to fix the problem. But it would be helpful if  you could characterize the problem technically bit more from your point of view. I am looking for some sort of work around that is likely to work on reasonable of the cases.

Our customers want to switch to Iphone/android early next year if this is not resolved.  Anything to reduce the intensity of this option will be really appreciated.

Really