Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Smart

GPS Services

Hi All,

Good day to you all.

I just have a question when developing java apps which uses the GPS.

Could I still get GPS fixes even when the GPS Services options in Options > Advanced Options > GPS is set to Location OFF? I've read somewhere in the boards that it doesn't affect the LocationProvider (sorry I can't find the link to the thread). Is this true? If not, how can we deal with it? I mean the user from turning the value to OFF? Is there a way to turn it on programmatically?

Regards,

ichie

Contributor
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Re: GPS Services

Hi ichie,

please try to mark this as solved if your question has been answered. Smiley Happy 

cheers! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Hi john,

This post isn't resolved yet. I was asking whether the linked thread is correct. According to the thread setting GPS Services to Location OFF doesn't affect the getting the GPS fix but when I try to debug using a device the getState() method of LocationProvider returns TEMPORARILY_UNAVAILABLE. Can anyone verify that this is really the case?

Thanks,

ichie

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Ah i thought you found the solution already. sorry.

anyway, based on my experience, i cannot get or even try to connect to the satellites when the hardware is off. Tested it on Curve 8320, Bold 9000 and Javelin 8900. with OS 4.5, 4.6 and 4.6.1

afaik, haven't seen a method to enable the GPS hardware. Smiley Happy

cheers! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Haha..No probs..Thanks..

But my problem is how to get the user to set the GPS Service to Location ON. Any way to get the user to set it to Location ON just like ApplicationPermission?

Thanks,

ichie