Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

GPS altitude - OS or hardware issue - frequently discussed but never resolved.

Hi,

I consistently get  whacky altitude/elevation  values (including negative ones).

I am testing it on a Storm running  OS4.7.

The latitude/longitude values are correct.

I have seen quite a few threads on this but nothing definitive indicating what the issue is and what device/OS combination it is supposed to work on.

I would really appreciate any insights on this.

--MB.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: GPS altitude - OS or hardware issue - frequently discussed but never resolved.

Don't know the answer, but would really appreciate if someone who works at RIM could shed some light on it. I have personally tried it in an around NYC city, on a clear day (no rain), I see erratic altitude all the time.

Some of the common questions are:

1) Is there a known software version(s) where  altitude values are wrong e.g. the issue is fixed from certain os version onwards.

2) Is it correct that the bug is only in the sign of the altitude, but not the magnitude. e.g. BlackBerry Says that altitude is -400 meters, the altitude is really 400 meters. 

3) Blackberries models have "cheap" GPS chips that don't support calculating altitude accurately e.g. threshold of error is more than 10 km.

4) Is there any  unofficial workaround to fix the problem.

5) is there any known GPS receiver that can be attached to the devices to fix the problem?