12-01-2009 02:02 PM
I consistently get whacky altitude/elevation values (including negative ones).
I am testing it on a Storm running OS4.7.
The latitude/longitude values are correct.
I have seen quite a few threads on this but nothing definitive indicating what the issue is and what device/OS combination it is supposed to work on.
I would really appreciate any insights on this.
12-01-2009 02:18 PM
Don't know the answer, but would really appreciate if someone who works at RIM could shed some light on it. I have personally tried it in an around NYC city, on a clear day (no rain), I see erratic altitude all the time.
Some of the common questions are:
1) Is there a known software version(s) where altitude values are wrong e.g. the issue is fixed from certain os version onwards.
2) Is it correct that the bug is only in the sign of the altitude, but not the magnitude. e.g. BlackBerry Says that altitude is -400 meters, the altitude is really 400 meters.
3) Blackberries models have "cheap" GPS chips that don't support calculating altitude accurately e.g. threshold of error is more than 10 km.
4) Is there any unofficial workaround to fix the problem.
5) is there any known GPS receiver that can be attached to the devices to fix the problem?