Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9530,8900,9000
My Carrier: Airtel,Docomo

GeoLocation using Cell Towers

While searching for the Gps related posts, I come across this link

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/platform/locateservice/

Which says Blackberry is able to find the Lat,Long based on the Cell Tower info.

I just wants to know that if its possible for only 6.0 os or for other OS versions too?

And if possible for other OS versions too then please give me a link or sample code for that...

Lathiya Himanshu
Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

Re: GeoLocation using Cell Towers

RIMs official statement to this is: Yes - it will work also with older OS - the LocationProvider can be configured with different parameters so that the CellTower Locations will be uesed:

Criteria criteria = new Criteria();

criteria.setCostAllowed(true);
criteria.setHorizontalAccuracy(Criteria.NO_REQUIREMENT);
criteria.setVerticalAccuracy(Criteria.NO_REQUIREMENT);
criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POWER_USAGE_LOW);

LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria);

But I never managed to get this to work - might be thats cause I am located in Europe (even then RIM have told me, that they are aware that only on TMobile this might not work - well I am on Vodafone) - I have two created two applications GPSLogger and LittleBrother... in Both the CellTowerLocation service offered by RIM is not working for me - I have no feedback if it works for others [e.g. users in the US which are not on Verizon (cause the Service is also not available for this operator)]...

So when you get the GeoLocation service working based on CellTowers - let me know.

Matthias

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9530,8900,9000
My Carrier: Airtel,Docomo

Re: GeoLocation using Cell Towers

I also tried this but not get any success. So will see if someone will find solutions.
Lathiya Himanshu