Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: no

Getting started

Well, I feel stupid. I have followed the directions, and downloaded the Eclipse environment, and the Blackberry plugin.

I have a friend with a Blackberry Curve running OS 5.0.0.16?. The eclipse stuff is crappy, I tried to do the two cheat sheets for HelloWorld, the 1st one worked OK, but HelloWorldSWT failed. I found a message saying that the library was left out of the build instructions, (appearently from someone with a different version of this stuff then I have) and managed to get that to work.

I managed to get the Blackberry plugin installed (after about a week - you do no use install new software, you use File>Import).. The built in Blackberry simulator has never managed to actually run for me. When I tell the Blackberry plugin in Eclipse to run my program in the simulator, it starts the simulator, then says it cannot find it.

Amazingly, when I plugged my friends Blackberry curve into my PC and started Eclipse, I got an error message on his blackberry screen error 523. Then I was able to download his pictures of his new baby girl for him.

When he plugged it into his own computer, he got nothing! Also, in my opinion, **bleep**. There are NO instructions for him to use to connect his phone to his computer, and when he plugged the USB cord in, it did not download any of the stuff he would need.

There are a lot of referneces to the different OS in different models of the phones.Since I could not get the plugin simulator to work, I downloaded a stand alone simulator from the blackberry site. I specified his phone and OS.

I do not know if my plugin is making the software for a newer OS. I cannot find out how to set up the Eclipse and Blackberry plugin to use a specific OS, and when I tried to get the stuff to allow my simulator to us a different OS, all I can fins is complete simulators, and they want me to tell them whivh model and OS - well, what is the NEWEST OS, that will run OLDER apps - well, that information is not available (at least, to me, I must be stupid).

It should be the most trivial and easy thing to do, to specify which OS you want the software you are developing to work with. Why cannot I find out how to do this?