Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Guarenteeing that a connection is originating from a physical blackberry device

This may sound a bit vague but I am looking for a way to ensure that an http connection is originating from a physical blackberry device and would like to use the PIN/IMEI (or other unique  identifier) for an application that otherwise doesnt need user authenticationor registration.

Are there any native certificates available on the blackberry device that can be used to guarentee that a connection is being made from a physical blackberry device and then can be used to sign the PIN/IMEI etc ?

I know the MDS/BES can insert an HTTP header with the device PIN that can be helpful to the extent that the  BES/MDS can be trusted by the target application server - but there may be chained proxies along the way that make it somewhat less reliable. Also, several customers will be on the BIS/WAP etc 

Alternatively, is there anything I can do in my native blackberry app running to the device to gaurentee that it is running on a true blackberry device ? I can then create a chain of trust with my application server.

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Guarenteeing that a connection is originating from a physical blackberry device

The following link explains the headers sent from the BlackBerry Browser.  You can use these to identify a BlackBerry Browser user, however there is no way to guarantee these values have not been spoofed by another application running on a non BlackBerry device.

How To - Retrieve information about the BlackBerry Browser
Article Number: DB-00435

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800878/800733/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker