Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

HTTP 413 Error when downloading small files

Hi,
I am receiving an HTTP 413 Error (Entity Too Large) when retrieving data through the company BES. We have increased the 
Maximum KB/Connection parameter from 256K to 512K and it has resolved the issue. However theresponse that we are getting 
back from the BES is expected to be well below 100K and therefore we should never have been getting the 413 error to begin 
with. I am invoking the server via an HTTP connection.
Is there a way to determine what the response size is that the BES sends back to the client? I have searched through the 
log files with no success. Has anyone ever encountered this error where they receive a 413 error when the response size is 
actually less than the maximum size?

Thanks in advance,
Mark 
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: HTTP 413 Error when downloading small files

[ Edited ]

Perhaps BES sends more data than expected, for example resends some information, sends service bytes, etc.  And this cause 413 Error.

To debug this - try to use a third-party traffic log/analyzer application and check it more closely.

information from this site

Question:

My Research-In-Motion (RIM) cell phone gives me a HTTP 413 Error when I attempt to play back. What is wrong?

Answer:

Older RIM devices were shipped with a limit of 128K on HTTP/GETs from the browser if the browser is the internet browser. Changing this limit to 1M chunks solves the problem. The default needs to be changed using the BES Management Console - it cannot be done on the phone itself.

By default, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) limits the response size of a single HTTP response to 128K. If you try to fetch anything bigger the application will receive a 413 (Request Entity Too Large) response code from the server. To get around this you must use the BES management console to change the value of the Maximum number of kilobytes per connection field to a higher value, up to 1024K.

Have your IT department log into the BES Management Console and do the following:

• Locate the MDS_CS properties
  • Change the session limit to its max of 1024K. (This can be higher if you wish.)
Message Edited by tbilisoft on 12-12-2008 03:29 PM