Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

HTTP requests lead to occasional loss of network connectivity on device?

We are seeing a problem with our Blackberry application on one of our internal testing devices where somewhere within a long set of network operations done by our Blackberry Java application, the device loses connectivity until a hard reset is done.  The phone works, but nothing network-related does.  It is intermittently reproducible, and we have only seen it on one particular device, but would like to dig further into the issue in order to confirm whether it is a problem with our application or not.

The device is an 8800, OS version 4.2.1.74. The behavior the application is performing before/during this behavior is that the application is attempting to make an http request, the request appears to timeout (there’s a two minute socket timeout), and as such the application tries to create a connection to that server and send another request.  Our application attempts to retry every two minutes for the period of up to an hour – if the connection still fails at that time, the operation is failed and nothing more happens.  We know that while this is happening, the network connectivity is lost by the device – we know this because the user has a scheduled email that comes down every hour – the 1 hour update window, where the application updates the data, goes from 3-4 am, and the user has a scheduled email sent to them every hour – the 3:02am email reached the device, but the next one an hour later did not. 

Note that one of the times this issue occurred, we saw the following error in the event log about 30 seconds before the connection stopped working: 

Name: net.rim.udp

GUID: f47344afa3bd34d8

Time: Sep 16, 2008 03:03:24

Reap 

In this case, we had a request succeed at 3:03:27-3:03:37, but the next request at 3:03:37 timed out, and all subsequent requests timed out after that point, so this could be related to the failure. 

The issue goes away via a hard reboot (i.e. pull the battery), and the device then works fine.  When the device is in this semi-disconnected state, whenever a direct(non-MDS) network operation is attempted, or whenever the radio is toggled off then on, the following error shows up in the device event log: 

Name: net.rim.tunnel

Severity: Error

GUID: <omitted by me – I hand-copied this from the log>

Time: Sep 15, 2008 14:57:13

STcr – 00000021 

And the direct connection operation fails with an IOException.  MDS operations generally just time out and cause no obvious errors in the log. 

In addition, in the Network Status screen (accessed from the “Manage Connections” application), I see the following: 

Voice Services: Available   

Connection: Mobile Network

Blackberry Internet Service   

Connection: Not connected

Blackberry Enterprise Server   

Connection: Not Connected

Mobile Network    edge

Mobile Provider    T-Mobile 

Normally both the internet service and the BES lines in this dialog say Connection: Mobile Network We have several questions: 
  1. What is the meaning of the net.rim.tunnel error?
  2. What is the meaning of the net.rim.udp error?
  3. Would there be anything else in the device event logs or accessible via the API to determine more about what is going on here? 
  4. Is there anything we can do in our usage of the networking API to make sure we don’t trigger this state on the device?

Finally, note that so far we have only reproduced this on one device – there are two other 88xx devices we used to attempt to reproduce it that have not yet seen the issue, nor have we heard of this issue from anyone else using the app.  This might indicate it’s some kind of OS issue we are aggrevating, but obviously this is just wild speculation.  I checked the BES’s logs, and nothing unusual shows up there for this device. 

Any suggestions/information/speculation would be appreciated.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: HTTP requests lead to occasional loss of network connectivity on device?

[ Edited ]

When the BlackBerry is in this state, do you see EDGE or edge on the home screen?  Are the other test BlackBerry handhelds running the same BlackBerry handheld software version? 

If so I recommend you reload the BlackBerry handheld software on the problem device.  When using the Application Loader wizard click on the Advanced button and uncheck the box that backs up and restores data (note that this will remove all data from the BlackBerry).

Message Edited by MSohm on 09-22-2008 06:01 PM
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
New Developer

Mark: 

The three test devices are significantly different versions of the OS - they are all 88xx devices, but the device where we can reproduce the issue is an 8800, and the other two are an 8820 and another 88xx which is neither 8800 nor 8820 (which I don't have access to right now) - they all have different OS versions, and I think are all different mobile providers. 

It will take me a little time to reproduce the issue - once it reproduces again, I will let you know whether we see EDGE or edge on the home screen.  I know that when the device is working correctly, the device says EDGE.  What is the significance of the home screen saying "EDGE" vs "edge"?

Re: reloading the blackberry handheld software on the device, I am not familiar with that option in the Application Loader - does that do a wipe of the whole device?  Is this any different than wiping the blackberry via Security Settings > General > Wipe Blackberry on the device?

We will try wiping the blackberry and reinstalling the application after gathering the information about the EDGE/edge when the network stops working.

Thanks,

Kevin

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

EDGE means that the BlackBerry has Edge coverage and is connected to the BlackBerry Network (BlackBerry data service available).  edge means that the has Edge coverage but is not connected to the BlackBerry Network (BlackBerry data service not available).

This Application Loader option is similar to doing a security wipe, with the exception that the application files are also reloaded.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
New Developer

We reproduced the issue again today, and confirmed that it says EDGE (capital letters)when the device is in the disconnected state.  We will perform the wipe as our next step, then reinstall the application and attempt to reproduce the issue again.

Thanks,

Kevin