Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Help understanding push

[ Edited ]

hi there,

i am crossing over from the iphone world and having a difficult time figuring out how push works in BB land.   with ihone push is dead simple: you get a device token (similar to a PIN on a BB) and you just push a message to that token from your server.  in fact, we have a php script to push automatically on certain events.  its literally 5 lines of code to connect to apple push server...

i been trying to figure out how it works for BB and it looks like things are not as simple.  is there a basic  "push 101" document that i am missing?  our BB app has a background thread which is always running, so it would be great if i could push something to it which says: "hey, wake up and go fetch new info from the server"

also, BB push can work over BIS/BES/TCP, etc. and please tell me i dont need to sign up and pay for ISV program?

thanks.

Message Edited by jkb on 07-02-2009 07:49 PM
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Help understanding push

first of all: Push works only for BES-connected devices. BIS-Push is only available for ISV members.

You can use different ways to alert an app, e.g. e-mail, pin2pin, sms etc

the details about push are in the developer guide. there is also a sample included in the JDE (httppushdemo) that should be usable for most cases, i copy and paste it all the time Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help understanding push

>> You can use different ways to alert an app, e.g. e-mail, pin2pin, sms etc

this is different from push?  where can i learn more about them?