Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: 8520

Help! webservice connection! help help

[ Edited ]

Hi all!

Ok i have an app what connect to a webservice in .net and this webservice for request give me an response file XML (using ksoap).

I take this response and i make a dump for write this file in the sdcard, and before can read the tags XML.

All works fine.. but!!! the problem is what this file can be size 70 or 80KB.. so the time for download this respose can be between 5 and 20 seconds, sure that depende if the user are connect via edge, gprs or wifi... 

Now.. my issue is...

Its posible what i can connect to the webservice but dont download the response? but read the content to this responde in the server for this way i avoid the download and optimize the time connection?

TY for this advance

Regular Contributor

Re: Help! webservice connection! help help

Pls help... Smiley Sad

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Speaking for myself, I have no idea what you are asking.

Can you clarify the question?

Also, a "dude" is a person, generally a male friend or acquaintance.

I think the word you are looking for is "question", or possibly "issue", not "dude".

Developer
My Carrier: Movistar

One way to reduce download size is compress the data to be sent...

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok i try my english its not good.. Smiley Frustrated

1. I made an app, this app connect to webservice (the ws are build in .net) and i using ksoap for connect and read the response from the webservice.

2.The response from the webservice are a XML, This xml contains serveral data, this data are news.

3.So for i read this response.. i connect to webservice and make a dump from thsi response and write in the device for before read and show the user.

4.The problem is what this response (the xml) can be size 70 or 80KB... this data i need download to device for read before.. but this process to download take several time.

5. I like know if is posible read the response from the server... for dont make the download.. to the file, and try to optimize the load content.

Regular Contributor

somebody?

Regular Contributor

Smiley Frustrated

Regular Contributor

any pls?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry, but I still don't see a specific question.

Here is what I get: "my download is too slow, can I make it faster?"

I can't help you make the download faster.

I don't understand the part about storing the XML - why are you doing this? I download XML twice that size, and I don't store anything. I parse it in background and notify the UI when there is something new to display. This makes the download "appear" to be faster because the UI is still operational.

Your post is very vague and I'm sorry that nobody can give you a specific answer to a vague question.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

ok ty again.. Smiley Frustrated

In this moment i storage the response in the device in the sdcard.. because if the user dont have connction to internet the app can read the  data what are storage in the device, and when the user reconnect to internet the app make a sincronization and update the file if need.

Now, the problem is..... some times the file have a size that 70 or 80kb and the app can be take 20 seconds donwloading the file, when the file are downloading i show a message to the user "updating please wait..." but 20sg its a long time.

So...i think if its posible dont download the response and only read response in the server when i invoke the webservice? i dont care if whit that i dont storage the file and lose the feature "offiline" i need improve the time for show the data in the app.

Other question.... what are the rate for download data from internet the device blackberry? 70KB is a large file for download?

I use the ksoap.. but i dont know if its posible that...

i hope what now you can understandme Smiley Sad