Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Hide app icon from switch application

Hi there,

I just wanna ask if someone know how to hide application icon from Switch Application, the sample called FolderListener from Developer Lab  have this kind behaviour, i just didn't know how to do that on my own application Smiley Very Happy

Thanks
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Hide app icon from switch application

As far as I know FolderListener is not a running Ui application. There is running background process wich launches Ui Application on a particular event.

I think there is no way to hide a UI application from "Switch Application".

Why do you need that ?

New Developer

okay so i need to make it non UI Smiley Very Happy, i need it because i try to create application that capture GPS position and send it back to the server without any user interaction, in my case were Bosses want to track their Employees location without employees being know they were tracked (covert tracking) for military/intelligence service 
Developer

In this case make a background auto-start application that will be pushed on to user's devices from the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES).

Please note that it can be done from Blackberry Enterprise Server by BES administrator.

If your application will be installed in another way - there will be problems with permissions. For installed apps by default it is not allowed to access internet or send data outside. But on BES - BES admin can setup permissions for the pushed application.

New Developer

i have successfully create that kind application by removing all UI stuff, btw i plan to create this app available for installation by OTA, is there any jad setting to modify permissions so my app are allowed to access internet or send data?or do it only possible by push app using BES?

btw i have tested my app on simulator and didn't set any permission for that but it works (leave it default), it receive GPS coordinate from simulator and send it to server, i didn't have blackberry device yet (but soon will) so i can't test it on real device for now LOL

thanks for your answer

Developer

[ Edited ]

On the simulator there is no such obstacle as permissions Smiley Happy

But on real device it is required to set permissions. And by default most of them are disabled. For security reasons.

You cannot set permissions via JAD-file settings or in "silent mode" from your application.

Permissions can be set by Blackberry Enterprise Server administrator remotely, or by a blackberry user manually.

There is no another way to set the permissions.

If permissions are not set - and your application tries to send data outside - blackberry user will be noticed with dialog box: "An application <appname> is trying to send data outside ... Allow/Deny"

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 02-01-2009 10:20 AM