Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to Load JAD Options Into Simulator

I am converting my JAD+JAr into a COD file using rapc. When the rapc produces a COD file, it modified my JAD file, which seems correct.

Can I upload that JAD into the simulator? I put properties into the JAD that my program requires and there is no way I can see to get these values unless the JAd is loaded with the COD into the simulator. Any ideas here?

Also, since I have not got my app on a real device yet, can someone tell me if the following is accurate?

To load an app OTA onto a BB device, use the BB browser to "click" on a URL to the JAD file. Then the BB will read the JAD file and reference the COD file from that (and retrieve the COD file from the server as well). This way, the application can read "system properties" from the JAD file.

Finally, a quick signing question...it seems the signing modifies the COD file. Why does the Bb signing not work like the Midlet signing and just modify the JAD file?

Developer
My Device: 8900

Re: How to Load JAD Options Into Simulator

It has been a while since I did this but...

I think with a device simulator you can simulate the USB connection.

If you have BlackBerry Device Manager and Desktop Manager installed you could then use Application Loader from within DTM to load the .cod onto the device. However to load the .cod you will need an .ALX that references the .COD modules / files. I'm not to sure how you create the .ALX but I thought it was part of the JDE somewhere.

If the simulated device is activated against a BES you could probably use the device browser and download the app onto the handset via the MDS CS. You would again need the device manager installed to do a serial bypass.

R

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I ran my application in the simulator (directly from windows, NOT using the JDE) and loaded a COD file. It appears that my properties have been loaded. rapc must be moving the JAd properties into the COD file or else when I load the COD the simulator "magically" looks for the JAD file and loads that in too. Any ideas here from the experts?

Next issue: my simulator is trying to make a HTTP connection and is timing out. Is there something I need to do to make the simulator see the internet? I tried the help and looke dunder "http" but that seems all related to the MDS which I am not using.

Mike

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The following link explains how JAD file attributes are handled.

How To - Programmatically read the attributes of a JAD file
Article Number: DB-00638

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/How_To_...

The BlackBerry Simulator does not support loading applications using the Application Loader wizard of Desktop Manager.  You can load applications in the BlackBerry simulator by copying the cod files to the simulator directory and restarting the simulator or using the BlackBerry Browser in the BlackBerry Simulator.

In order to use the BlackBerry Browser in the MDS Simulator you must also run the MDS CS Simulator.  It is included with most versions of the BlackBerry JDE and available as a separate download here: 

BlackBerry Email and MDS Services Simulator Package

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/downloads/simulators.jsp

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker