Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to check battery power consuming while using blackberry

Hi

If any one let me know how to check the power consume by application developed by ourself and run on blackberry device. It means i need to check how much battery power consumed if my application runs in blackberry

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: How to check battery power consuming while using blackberry

there is no way to calculate battery power consumption stats for a particular application.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

To collect overall power comsumption static for all applications you can use net.rim.device.api.system.DeviceInfo class.

There is a method: getBatteryLevel()

Take several measure actions:

1. Charge the battery to 100%

2. Install your application

3. Check the battery level

4. Wait a hour

5. Check the battery level

Do this sequence several times and calculate the arithmetical mean of battery consumption for your application.

Developer

Note to RIM: What is wrong with a current level API? I have to admit I've not worked

on phone hardware in a while ( nothing that doesn't have a transformer to couple to speaker, LOL)

but IIRC the power conditioning chain probably has some good taps for current monitors.

In terms of immediate solutions, battery temperature API ( curious why rim did this, was it before

exploding battery conderns?) may offer some indication. Let me state my humourous story about

making a Nokia 6620 too hot to hold comfortably when streaming media to it. I'm not sure

if ths was largely RF, digital, or battery dissipation but the battery T should come close to being

a time-average current measure especially if ambient is known or at least constant.  The integrated

IV power has to go somewhere- it either goes out the RF, out the LED, or into the handset heat.

New Developer

Hi marchywka

Thanks for reply. But i am asking about if there is any possibility to check the battery consumption level in blackberry strom simulator. Not in real device. i need to check on simulator when my application runs.

i think it is not possible. is it ?

Developer

From what exactly do you expect to derive your conclusions? Maybe they have a model for this

built into the simulator but since there is no API for the phone I don't know how that would

be preserved. Many of the API's are not supported ( I think I get a prompt on some network

info classes) on the emulator and a dissipation model would take a little bit of work esp considering

it is not directly available.

If you can get a data sheet for the phone components you may be able to make a crude model

by monitoring all the known consumers- LED, RF, extra digital gate changes, I guess even the speaker

output could be 100 milliwatts or so.

I'm not sure I'd wait for RIM to post a link to a disspiation of thermal model however. LOL.