Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to compress / uncompress data

Hi guys,

I'm working on an app that will use a large data file of 10MB. Since it's all text data (the file is a plain .txt file) I guess I should compress it quite a lot. But, a few questions about this:

1) How can I compress/uncompress the data? Any example somewhere? I know nothing about the raw ZIP algorithms, and can't code one directly by myself..

2) If the data is compressed, how can I search inside it? I'd need at least to read a specific line...but I guess I can't unzip everything into memoery, it wold consume too much memory. So how can this be done??

Thanks!

New Developer

Re: How to compress / uncompress data

Ok I found the GZipInputStream class...but if someone has concrete examples, that would be great. Also question (2) is still valid
Developer

Take a look at GZIPInputStream in the API docs.
Developer

Interesting questions - however I think the second might make the first irrelevant.

If you look at the API, the BB supports, out of the box, two compression methods, GZIP and ZLIB.  These are actually just variations on the same compression method, which is (a few patentable tweaks aside) basically the same method (DEFLATE) as the standard method used by ZIP.  This method works by removing repeated 'strings'.  There are numerous other compression algorithms, but if you don't want to write code yourself, you are stuck with this method.

However this method will make it impossible for you to search it without decompressing which presumably removes the value of compressing it in the first place.

Also if you need to search this frequently, then the overhead of decompression might be significant, especially if you did it for each search.

Fortunately, the recent BB devices all have SDCard memory, on which 10MB is not significant .  So I would consider putting your data in this and using the FileConnection API to read/search your uncompressed data.

Hope this helps.

New Developer

[ Edited ]
Thanks Peter, I followed the way you suggest (uncompressed data on SD card) with another program, but wanted to check if there was a better solution.
Message Edited by devguy on 01-04-2009 05:17 PM
Developer

For zip data.use this code

byte[] doZipped(String strData)
      {

ByteArrayOutputStream out = null;
                 ZLibOutputStream zout = null;
                 try
                 {
                    out = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
                    zout = new ZLibOutputStream(out, false,15,1);
                    zout.write(strData.getBytes(),0,strData.getBytes().length);
                    zout.flush();
                    return  out.toByteArray();//).toString();
         }
         catch(IOException ioe)
         {
                System.out.println(ioe);
         }
         catch(Exception ex)
         {
                System.out.println(ex);
         }

finally
         {
                try
                {
                        if(zout!=null)
                          zout.close();
                        if(out!=null)
                          out.close();
                }catch(Exception e){}
         }
         return new String("Error").getBytes();
    }

Developer

Someone else asked this as have I in the past but what random access facilities are available for large

files? I think someone tried skip which is normally implemented as read() but are there any random access facilities?

Presumably your text file would be read into some data structure designed according to your intended usage.

All the string based compression systems make some kind of dictionary and try to encode based on frequency

of occurence. You may or may not be able to do as well given what you know about your [ single ] file as you

don't need a general compression approach. For example, if your text is very repetitive, you can build your own

"dictionary" which could be the index your hypothetical app needs anyway, and achieve a smaller memory footprint

while giving you a useful data structure.

If your text is static, I'd recommend a code generator or at least some offline processing with things like sed/awk

to reformat your text as suits your program. Even if it has some volatility, these approaches could help.

Highlighted
New Developer

like the replies of peter and archywka. I just like to ask you the kind of data you are going to compress/decompress.? I asking you cause I'd written some algorithms regarding the same kind of problem. But main problem is that those are data dependent. If you feel free you can forward the data to me, so that i can analyse and try to fit it with my data structure or can create a new module for you, if possible.

with thanx

Dave

New Developer

It's just plain text. Any text is ok if you want to try.