Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Super Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

How to determine BBM version and import necessary packages?

Hi everyone,

RIM released BBM 6, and that's fine, BUT in order to use it's features users must update their bb messengers. And the problem is that application which imports bbm packages fails to run if version of bbm is less then 6. Is it possible to determine version of BBM installed and then use conditional import of bbm packages to make application runnable on 6th and older versions of BBM?  

Developer

Re: How to determine BBM version and import necessary packages?

BlackBerry Provided A Dependency Checker

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/blackberrymessenger/

with implement this Facility U can Check Which is The BBM version on Device,

if it is Not Compitable With Ur Device Then It will Redirecte user to Download Latest BBM version.

Super Contributor

thank you for reply. And is it possible not to redirect user to download, but to silently skip import of bbm packages and launch the application?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I don't think there is and personally, I think it would be 'rude' and potentially very dangerous to silently upgrade any product, but especially an application like BBM which some people live on. 

Super Contributor

well, I mean not to upgrade silently, but to import / not to import bbm packages depending on the version of the BBM?

Developer
My Device: 9900 - OS 7.0 Torch device
My Carrier: Reliance

Hello There,

Is there a way to find available BBM Version in device like getPlatformName(), getOSVersion()...etc. Here requirement is something like when user wanna send  a message through BBM, we need to check whether device has reliable BBM version or not. If not so, we can simply deny the user.

Can anybody suggest me

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi VijayKumar,

If you want to intigrate BBM into your application you should implement BBM Alternative dependency checker.

Here the problem is if you not implement the Alternative BBM Dependency Checker, The app will not run on the devices which are not having reliable BBM version. Then there is no chance to deny the user.

Search on the forums how to implement BBM Alternative Dependency checker, if you have any pproblems let me know.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9900 - OS 7.0 Torch device
My Carrier: Reliance

Hi all

I have downloaded the BBM SDk Dependency Checker where we need to create the proxy application along with Core application.

I have gone through the .pdf and followed the same instruction. but still i have couple of doubts here

1. Which application has to be run to build the application proxy application or core application. ?

2. In .pdf there HomescreenUtil class which was not used anywhere. Do we need include this class in our core application ?

3. If we run the core application, Icon app will not get visible on homescreen of device, If so, how do I run this application. ?

4. When I run the proxy application, its showing the message, the package is not found.

Can anybody explain the procedure of this. What exactly I need to do