Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: How to develop on Blackberry 10

In my opinion the playbook is a good product hardware-wise, but the software was lacking. The OS is very fast, the multitasking is excellent etc, but the ecosystem is developing slowly.

RIM has 25k applications available now, but they don't disclose how many of those are just posted iOS apps, how many are Android player thingies and how many are calculators.

That is why they are investing into their developers now, big time. They plan to have a good application ecosystem in existance when BB 10 is launched, and i think they can succeed with that.
Myself and our company will try to support that step, and most developers i met on the BB JAM 10 are also convinced.

The hardware is not that different in most modern smartphones, and if the OS is no longer restricting features i think that BB 10 devices may be competitive, maybe offer a few extras even for a normal user, and hopefully be interesting for business users as well.
If you look at MDM iOS and Android have to go a long way until they reach capabilities now implemented in BB-OS phones, i think RIM can capitalize on that.

We won't shift 100% resources to BB 10. We broadened our development to Android and iOS some time ago, and will take BB 10 into the portfolio now. If RIM succeeds there are many opportunities for those who are there at launch, and if they fail, well...
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

is there an OTA for the BB10 smartphone?
When will we see them?

Developer

no, BB 10 will have appworld (and corporate appworld) only.
As a developer (or advanced user) you can sideload apps using a debug token, but otherwise the environment will be controlled, similar to apple.
not very good news for developers, but maybe good for consumers.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

when do you think that we will see BB10 smartphones on the market?

Developer

It is announced for autumn, and so far RIM seems to be on track.
We will see how fast the updates for the DevAlpha come in.

Guessing something half a year in advance is idle speculation though, especially without access to internal information. And everybody who might know more is most likely bound by NDA.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Is the playbook good enough a testbed for BB10? If I don't need to deal with the phone api, isn't the playbook just like a BB10 phone device?

Developer

not yet.
the playbook does not support cascades.
the DevAlpha device has an early BB 10 version, which is basically a modified playbook OS.
It was said that the playbook will get BB 10 as well, but it is unclear when, and if it will be available prior to the regular BB 10 launch in autumn.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

I have just ported my app to BB10 using the Android Runtime Environment, now I would like to add this release to app world.

The app world doesn't let me upload the tablet version, he want that I creat a new release with a new release number.

The Java version of my software is at 5.0 version, the Android version is at 5.0 version but I can't upload the BAR file with the same release.

Can you help please?

Developer

can you create an own thread for your question? i'll get somebody to answer it, then.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer