Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Torch
Accepted Solution

How to get GPS fix on a GSM device

I need to be able to get fixes on a GSM device and the requirement is to get them as quickly as possible but as it turns out I cannot get a fix at all.

I have followed all the instructions and the tutorials, video etc. and I have tested with the GPS diagnostic tool  on two different GSM devices - torch 9800(os 6) and pearl 9100(os 5)

They both fail with all the ways I tried both for single and multiple fixes. 

I tried going around the neighbourhood and give it more time to (200 sec) to get that fix and it either gets no fix at all or the fix is invalid.

I believe the GPSDiagnostic tool tries all of them. Can anyone share their experience with GPS. 

From my previous tests GPS very rarely gets a valid fix and I gate something like 95% fail rate. This for all types of tests - indoor, outdoor....

Its frustrating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: Z10

Re: How to get GPS fix on a GSM device

I get GPS fixes on a GSM Torch 9800 quite easily. Have you checked that location services are enabled in the settings?

Follow me on twitter @RileyGB - https://twitter.com/RileyGB
View my BB10 OpenSource projects - https://github.com/RileyGB/BlackBerry10-Samples
Developer
My Device: Torch

Re: How to get GPS fix on a GSM device

It turned out that the geographic place where I was has bad coverage or the phone just got stuck. After I let it try to get coordinates for a few hours it got them eventually and since then it works well after multiple restarts.
Same applies for the other phone.
I don't know why they were unable to get the coordinates but it seems fine now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you Smiley Happy